1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MFT hitting the spot in Australia?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickthetasmaniac, Nov 12, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I went into my local Camera House (big Australian photographic retailer) the other day to pick up a 52mm centre-pinch lens-cap for my SMC 24/f2.8 (it was an exciting moment and everyone should know about it :wink:) and this is what I saw:

Two display cabinets - Nikon dSLR and lenses/flash/accessories

Two display cabinets - Canon dSLR and lenses/flash/accessories

One display cabinet - Sony/Pentax dSLR and lenses/flash/accessories

One display cabinet - assorted mirrorless stuff (Sony NEX, Samsung NX, Ricoh GXR, Fuji X100)

TWO display cabinets - ALL current Panasonic and Olympus MFT bodies (EPMI, EPL3, EP3, G3, GH2, GF3), several older bodies (EPL2, EP2, GF2, G2), and nearly all lenses from the ultra-wide and super-tele zooms to fast primes, inc. both the 12/f2 and 45/f1.8!!!

To put it in perspective, this is the same store that still has an E-3 for sale for $2500AUD, and has only recently shifted stock from the Nikon D300 to D300s, so they're generally pretty slow on the uptake...

Thoughts? Is this an Australia wide phenomenon or is Tasmania just taking the lead for once?

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not what I've seen in Brisbane. I hesitate to say it must be Tasmanian but I do wonder whether it has something to do with either the store manager's personal preferences or a response to a particular customer group frequenting that store.

3. spowell

spowell New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2010
    Melbourne, Aus
    TEDs

Hey Guys

TEDs in Victoria (largest camera shop dis) only has a couple of shelves for MFT last time I looked a month or so ago.

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Very poor range of MFT stuff in Sydney. Some places may give one or two shelves in a display case to an incomplete range of Olympus and not a lot of stockists of Panasonic MFT. FT is essentially dead with only a couple of remnants about.