MF with 50-200

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Maczero, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I spent an hour at a small local nature reserve (reclaimed from an old gravel quarry and now bustling with wildlife). The aim was to practise MF with the 50-200 (I love the 75-300, but there is no native lens that can do 400 mm equiv at f3.5 and at this time of year in Scotland I need all the light I can into the lens).

Lessons learned:

1. Make sure you use the diopter to get the EVF as sharp as possible (!).
    2. For me, the focus peaking work wasn't reliable enough when there were low contrast subjects. It was just too easy to just miss the correct focus point. On the other hand it was fascinating to see the plane of focus move backwards and forwards.
    3. The best for me was a coarse focus at x1 in the EVF followed by a zoom to x5 for fine focus. I came to that method rather late in the day unfortunately, just as the light was fading and I was at ISO 3200 to meet the high shutter speeds needed to capture small song birds.

Pics in this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f54/small-birds-squirrel-37776/#post368517
    Andrew

PS. Sorry if this is teaching people to suck eggs, but I hope it may help others.

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Thanks for your experiences Andrew, and I dig your pictures. This is one area I hope to step into shortly... well as soon as my tripod arrives (hurry up DHL!)

Are you unable to use focus peaking while inside the 5x magnification view?

3. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I set up focus peaking as described in this forum. The x2 digital zoom seems to replace any zoomed in effect (ie x5 - x14).

I ought to say that all my pictures were hand held, so speed of getting to the correct focus was important; hence the x5. If you are using a tripod you may be able to go higher in magnification depending on whether your target is static or not.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1