1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

MF-only for a fisheye - is that a problem?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by speltrong, Apr 1, 2012.

1. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I'm mildly curious about getting a fisheye, and it looks like the native options right now are the Rokinon (1/2mm wider) or the Panasonic (2x the price). It didn't occur to me until now that the Rokinon is MF only. How much does AF (or focus in general) matter with real-world usage of a fisheye?

[edit] yeah, that really should have gone in the Native Lenses forum - sorry about that :/

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, wide open, if you focus the lens to 5 feet away, the depth of field extends from 2 feet in front of you to infinity. So no, I don't think that you need to worry about manually focusing a fisheye.

3. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Thanks for the input - I can deal with MF when doing close-focusing with it as well. I'm getting a lot of practice from my PL45 in how to use (or not use) MF-assist. The only time I can foresee it being a problem is if I'm trying to shoot a moving object (a dog for instance) close up. I've never shot w/ a fisheye before, but I don't tend to shoot a lot of closeups of moving things with my 7-14 @7mm.

Considering this comparison , I'm kind of leaning toward the Rokinon anyway.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I have the rokinon, and it's honestly one of the best built quality lens I have, great feel,smooth. Only complaint is no depth of field scale. And despite others, I finds that I manually focus all the time even though apparently I'm wasting my time trying to focus?!?

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You aren't wasting your time. It depends where you want the actual plane of focus to be. Use this DOF calculator:
    Online Depth of Field Calculator
    Also, read this thread, being sure to click on the links:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f40/help-understanding-distance-scale-17695/
    "Depth of field" can be subjective, as one's "in focus" may not live up to your standards, especially at the edges of the depth of field. However, the depth of field is so large with such a short focal length, that for landscapes and other shooting where no part of the subject or individual item is closer than a few feet from you should be no problem just setting your lens and going to town.

6. letsgocoyote

letsgocoyote Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Here's the thing. Yes, you can just scale focus in such a way that most stuff is reasonably in focus, especially if you stop down

however, the fun of a fisheye is getting really close to thing and making them all funny and bubbly (IMO/YMMV) and this Rokinon excels at this. I felt like the APS-C version of this lens was a bit of a dud because it could only focus to ~1ft which when you are getting so close to your subject doesnt cut it. the m4/3 version however focuses super close. i think on paper the focusing is as close as 5 or 6" which is as good or better than any other fisheye ive ever seen/used (only used the Pentax 10-17 and 17-28 fisheyes previously, as well as Rokinon 8mm in canon mount). but in practice, I focus as close as about 1.5-2 inches!!!! its crazy.

anyways, i guess im saying is, if you want to run and gun, you can definitely just fix the focus and go. but you do have the ability to get up real close, and if you do you NEED to manual focus or you will have blurry/very soft results

its a great lens though, super compact too!

• Like Like x 1
  7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel

Macro fish-eye? Yes, I like that idea too! :thumbup: My Samyang 7.5mm can focus to 9cm but the main advantage of very big depth of field is lost once you focus below 1m and it is narrowing rapidly below 0.5m.

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
  9. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Oh nice - I love close-focusing with ultrawides. Ok, I'm definitely going to pick this lens up next. Even if I don't use it a whole lot, $300 is a great price :)