MF Magnification w/Nikkor Lenses & Adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Replytoken, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I just recently picked up an adapter for my Nikkor lenses. I quickly tested it with my G3 body, and was reasonably happy with how it handled. I just tried it out with my E-PL2, but could not seem to engage the MF magnification that works with native lenses. Is this feature not available on the E-PL2 when using an adapter and legacy glass? It would be great if it was, because the Oly offers IBIS, something the G3 does not.

--Ken

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    You should be able to magnify - in your live view, flick through the screens (info button) until you get the green box to appear, at this point you can magnify whatever you like in the box (click around to move the box and use the scroll wheel to adjust magnification).

Good luck !

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It will not "auto-magnify" like the m4/3 lenses can but you can magnify manually with the magnify button. The complaint I have is the magnification is sometimes too much especially with a long lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sounds good for tripod work, not so good for hand held when DOF is minimal.

--Ken

5. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    Ken, try pressing in on the thumb wheel (should click like a button), and make sure the camera is set up for shooting with old glass. for example; my pana body has a "shoot w/o lens" option/setting in the setup menu. That needs to be on (in fact I just leave mine set to on with no ill effects while shooting legacy glass).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken

I think that you are describing the use of legacy glass on the G3, which has been fine for me. My problem was with the E-PL2. Am I misunderstanding?

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  7. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    No Ken, you have not misunderstood. Apparently I misunderstood.

I have an E-PL1 myself l and have the same trouble. Wondering if an EVF would help.

Sorry to be of no use. I'm going to take some time to brush up on my reading skills. :redface:

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That's OK. I appreciate you taking the time to write a response. It was suggested that you could manually engage the manual focus on the E-PL2 (see above), so I am wondering if the E-PL1 offers the same control.

--Ken

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Like the EPL1, the EPL2 has that dedicated magnify button, unless you reprogrammed it?

Press it once and the green focus box appears. Press it again and it magnifies in either the LCD or EVF.

The size of the green box can be changed too, from 7X to 14X, which can give you a 2X increase in manification.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Just press the little button that has the picture of a magnifier on it. The camera cannot know electronically when the focus ring is turned, so you need to tell it when to magnify. Press the button once to engage Close-Up mode. The green box will pop up and you can move it around if you want to zoom in at a different location. Then press it a second time to actually zoom in. When zoomed in, the INFO button will change your magnification value (5x, 7x, 10x, 14x), which will be saved for next time you use it.

• Like Like x 1