MF assist with E-P1..easiest way?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Djarum, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Ok, so when I hooked my camera up to my telescope, the only way to focus was manually using the focuser on the telescope. However, the only way I could find to engage MF assist was to hit the info button until the MF assist overlay comes up, and then I can zoom in. Bu then if I want to change another setting, I have to hit the info button again to get to the main screen to change shutter or ISO. Is there an easier way to do this?

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I think that's the only way to get to the mf assist, but you can still make some adjustments while in that mode. For sure, you lose most of them because you disable the OK button for everything except MF assist, but you can still use the ring and the dial on the back to change whatever functions you've assigned to those. I have shutter speed on my dial in both A and M modes and it still works while in MF assist mode. The rear ring generally changes aperture, which doesn't work with the legacy lenses I'm generally using manual focus with (or your telescope), but I'm sure I could assign it something else if I wanted to.

Play around a bit more - I'm sure you'll find a workable setup. The E-PL1 makes this easier by giving the mf assist its own button, but you can still get to most of what you need with the ep-1 or 2.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Ray,

I think thats the problem. I need to make my sub-dial in M mode change Shutter, not aperature. I suppose I can go to the menu to change ISO. Thanks for the help.

I will say this, I'm glad there is SOME implementation of MF assist there unlike other cameras. Live view is invaluable with astrophotography, however, m43 is often overlooked because of the sensor noise.

4. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    MF assist

Thanks for this little exchange! I could not find how to ingage the magnifier with my manual lenses. I had been searching the menus and the book, but not sharp enough to find it. This is why I visit here often. Thanks!