1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MF Assist on E-PM1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SingleEyePhotos, Aug 25, 2013.

1. SingleEyePhotos

SingleEyePhotos New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2013
    Hi -

I recently purchased the E-PM1, plus the proper adapter to let me use my old Pentax lenses. My issue is that when I have the adapter on, the MF Assist does not 'kick in' when I'm trying to focus. I've checked and double-checked the menu options to be sure that MF is on, MF Assist is on (and anything else I can think of). Is there a trick to this that I'm missing? When I set the native lens (no adapter) to MF, the MF Assists works just as expected.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

2. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I'm guessing that the manual focus assist is a feature of the native 'focus by wire" system employed by m43. If your non native lens uses a mechanical focus, it won't be sending a signal to the body.

3. SingleEyePhotos

Aug 25, 2013
    I kind of thought that as well, but all the info I've found about using adapters indicates that MF Assist is used, and I did search for related/similar problems before posting - and no one has mentioned having a problem with MF Assist and an adapter.

4. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Yes that's perfectly normal. There's no electronic connection between the lens and body. You'll have to invoke the assist on the EPM1 if you want to use it.

5. SingleEyePhotos

Aug 25, 2013
    OK, so how do I 'invoke' it? MF Assist is ON in the menu. I have the 'record' button set to AF/MF, so when I switch to the adapter, I press that button to turn on MF, and then what do I do to get the MF Assist to come on manually?

Thanks, much!

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm trying to remember. Maybe press the magnify button in shooting mode?

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Unfortunately, there is no magnify button on the E-PM1. If you hit the Info button until the green square shows up on the screen, then you can press OK and it will magnify the screen so you can get critical focus. Hit OK again and it will go back to normal view so you can compose the shot.

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The only way I can use manual focus lenses on my EPM1 is to program the red REC button for magnify.

How to program:
    1) Press MENU and select SETUP, hit OK
    2) Choose the gear menu and select "Button/Dial"
    3) Select "Button Function" and right arrow.
    4) Pick the top line on next screen, Default was REC. Set it to Magnify.

Now when you have a manual lens mounted, pressing the red REC button brings up a green box. You can move that box with the cursors if desired. Pressing a second time magnifies the screen under the box.

Yes. You now lose the ability to start video with the REC button. You will have to go into video mode and use the shutter button.

10. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

The other way is to make sure you have Zoom enabled in LV-Info.

Info Settings > LV Info > Zoom On.

Once enabled you get to the Zoom screen by pressing the Info button.

I have it that way as I use the red record button for back button focussing.

It's hard work going between all my cameras and remembering how the various menus work!

11. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I have one on my S95. Very good quality. I prefer the Flipbac G4 on the EPM1. Not forgetting the Aki Asahi covering of course! http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/E-PM1/Leather/EPM1_LeatherKit.php

i-gsT5r3-M.

Attached Files:

12. jarl

jarl Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Uhm... I think the best accessory for your E-PM1 is something to assist with focusing legacy lenses. From a previous thread it looks like it's a VF-2 viewfinder (I don't know yet if the VF-3 is enough). The VF-4 seems to be viewfinder nirvana.

I'm planning on improving my E-PM1 grip, but I think it will be something more radical... Sugru is involved :)

13. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

The VF-2 is supposedly pretty good. It does look a bit odd on the tiny EPM1 from pictures I've seen. The VF-3 is a better match for the small body but it's inferior. I decided to get a cheap OVF instead.

14. jarl

jarl Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    The main problem I have is that it's *really* difficult to keep stuff in focus and check the composition and exposure using the built-in screen (specifically when shooting macro stuff). I reprogrammed the Rec button as zoom, but still it takes a really long while to take any picture. I was considering replacing the E-PM1 with something having focus peaking or the keyline filter, but after reading some replies to my previous post I'll give the VF-X a chace.

To the OP: if you have not done so, you have to enable the "Super Control Panel" for the "settings" menu. Then you'll find the means to assign zoom to the rec button under "detailed camera options" (the gears), then "Button/Dial" ("B"), then "Button Function" and set the Rec button (the concentric circles) to "Magnify".

There are some really good tips on how to change the camera defaults to have a better starting point when you want to take a picture. I can't find the threads right now, but Google should help you finding them

[Edit] Google "dpreview 3159562". That's one of the threads I went through when I first bought the camera

15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Sounds good! But the zoom option is greyed out, so I must have something else enabled that does that. Any ideas of what that could be?

16. jarl

jarl Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Yep... you have the zoom enabled somewhere else. To the [Rec] button perhaps?

17. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Of course! Thanks. Jarl!

18. SingleEyePhotos

Aug 25, 2013
    Thank you, everyone, for your tips. I will have to read over them again when I have a bit of leisure and try to absorb what I'm being told... and try to find the SCP (which I have been looking for, but have not yet found!) then take it from there.

19. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Don't bother with the keyline filter, its very laggy. The GX7 sounds like it has the best focus peaking implementation in the m43 world atm.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Go to Setup => Sprockets => Disp/PC => Control Settings and for every mode turn Live Guide and Live Control to OFF, then turn SCP (Super Control Panel) to ON in every mode.
    When you return to shooting, you will then be able to press OK and get a one-screen quick menu of all your essential shooting options. If another menu pops up (ie, like Remote Commander, Art, or Scene menus) then just press INFO and it'll cycle you back to SCP.

PS, LV-Zoom is NOT the same as magnify and behaves quite differently. It is not a good substitute for the Magnifier if you are using manual focus lenses, but will do in a pinch. I suggest leaving the Magnifier on the big red button when using manual lenses. When you need it for something else (ie, like back button focus for auto lenses), then you can always create a MySet with a different function. The E-PM2 does have an extra Fn button, which is very useful for this reason.

Also, do consider the VF-2 or VF-4. If you're serious about manual focus, then a good quality EVF is key. The magnifier works only when you have time to carefully focus, but with the viewfinder you can focus on the fly, even shooting action and sports.

Though it's not the best, the VF-3 is actually sufficient for this purpose. It's not so good compared with the better Olympus options but still much better than some of the other viewfinders we've seen, like the Panasonic LVF-1 for instance. If your budget is a concern, then the VF-3 can be a worthwhile value purchase. I use multiple bodies with different EVFs and the ones I stick a VF-3 on work just fine for me along with the rest.