1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Meyer Optik Trioplan 50mm f/2.9

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by vrojt, Apr 15, 2016.

1. vrojt

vrojt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2016
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm sure it has some great '3D Pop!" with just 3 elements. /s

I actually think it would be a fun lens to play with. However, I wouldn't spend $600 for it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  3. vrojt

vrojt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2016
    I agree, fun lens, but why would i spend 600 USD when i could simply get a M42 lens that would do atleast very close thing as this lens.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think it's pretty embarrassing, really. It's a marketing stunt and I feel like it preys on people who don't know better. Tons of lenses can give you "soap bubble" bokeh. They aren't hard to find. Most people consider it a flaw, but like most things photographic, bokeh is subjective.

If you really like the look and want a slow, soft 50mm, save your money and get a used E. Ludwig Meritar 50/2.9 which also uses the same outdated Cooke triplet optical layout. Yesterday there were a few on eBay for under $50, but maybe those have been bought up by now. There are even a few of the Meyer-Optik 50/2.9s that this is based on for under $200 (which is a ridiculous buy-it-now price that no one should ever pay). These are the kind of lenses that ended up on very inexpensive East German cameras. Anyone who could afford to would buy a Tessar instead of a Trioplan, and if you wanted even better you would get a Planar. People were looking down on these lenses 60 years ago.

Here's one of the first shots I took with my SMC Takumar 50/1.4, which happens to be faster, cheaper, sharper, and better corrected. If you go for a 50/1.8, it'll also be smaller and lighter than the Meyer-Optik!

1DZS1Ua.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    Even in the film days the 3-element Meyers were considered crap. Meyer's usual design was to try to get by with one less element than Zeiss...thus 3 elements rather than 4 like a Tessar...yielding very soft results.

But $1300??? Bokeh insanity reaches new heights.

Buy a UV filter and smear vaseline on it like Bob Guccione did for his Penthouse centerfolds and save $1290.

6. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Seems like they could make a 100 year old 3 element lens design for $50. Too much retro kitsch premium for me.

I like the effect lenses, the manufacturers just seem to want to price them like they found an old box at the Zeiss factory.