1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metz's flashes with OMD EM-5 vs FL-600R

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bfloating, Aug 23, 2013.

1. bfloating

bfloating New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I own an OLYMPUS OMD EM-5. I also own the pop-up flash that came with it as well as an FL-300R. I am looking to add another flash to the arsenal to be used 95% as a wireless remote flash.

Using the new Olympus FL-600R as a basis of comparison, will the Metz 50 AF-1, and the Metz 52, and Metz 58 all give me ALL the flexibilities and features ( such as wireless TTL metering ) that the FL-600R will give me with my camera ????

I prefer the build quality of the Metz brand vs the Olympus flashes. I am aware of the weight and size, and price differences. I don't care so much about the weight/size as it will virtually NEVER be camera mounted and almost exclusively used off camera as a wireless main or fill flash and I feel I can NEVER have TOO MUCH power. BUT, BEFORE I buy a Metz, I want to know exactly what I give up, if anything, from a first hand knowledgeable owner of an EM-5. Also what benefits I gain over the fl-600R. Please identify fact vs. opinion.

THANKS in ADVANCE,

Richard

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Richard

I own a metz 44 and it covers most of my needs (doesn't support FP though)

I use it on camera and wirelessly both, but the wireless part needs a firmware update which is quite easy that you can find on the website.

I don't have an fl-600r or other higher end metz but I think the 52 and 58 you're looking at should work fine. here's a shot of my friend that I did with single metz 44 wirelessly triggered

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jyc860923/9298492079/" title="a headshot, remote flash, single light by jyc860923, on Flickr"> 9298492079_5071c3ac39_b. "742" height="1024" alt="a headshot, remote flash, single light"></a>

Attached Files:

3. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I prefer remote flash too.

For this I first bought a Metz 52 AF1 and am very happy with it. It charges very fast and the touch screen offers a very good user interface (not comparable to recent mobile phone screens but very good for controlling the flash).

The only thing it does not have compared to FL600r is focus assist and video light. Both useless with remote flashing, so what ...

Later I bought a used 44 AF1 to gain a two flash setup. This one is quite restricted in user controls. You can chose between TTL, Slave and M, in M you have 5 power steps. That's it. And it does not have remote FP TTL, only "remote TTL".

In "remote TTL" both flashes work together nicely, I set them to flash group A+B.

If you want a solid and powerful remote flash, go with the Metz, while the 44 is a restricted entry level flash, the 52 and 58 are full featured beasts ...

(You might already know it, there is a comparison matrix at the end of the Metz catalog, you can see which features the 58 has compared to the 52...)

Oh, wait. Before I forget about it: I had an issue about unreliable exposure in remote TTL. This is not a Metz issue, FL600r has it too. It is because the Master flash puts weak but direct light to the subject while the bouncing flash has a long distance to the subject. As both flashes add a similar amount of light during the first metering flash, the master flash causes some under exposure in the final exposure. As it changes with your scene and with distance, remote TTL seems very unreliable at fist.

If you buy a Metz, I encourage you to look for the "Metz IR filter bracket", it is an accessory for the Metz ring flash. I bought it here for 8Euros. You can buy it from Metz service too. You put it over the tiny Oly flash and it blocks the influence of the Master flash. It will give you very reliable results ...

4. bfloating

bfloating New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    THANKS. Whats the difference between the Metz 50 AF-1 and the Metz 52 ?????

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Thought they updated the 50 ?
    So not sure the current model ? Kinda loose touch :)

Thought the 52 was the touch screen ?

I have both fl600 and the metz50

I use the metz 50 on camera so that is why and I have a lot of other flash gear to choose from

Depending on power you think you might need the fl600 is great flash if you also might use it on camera and bounce

only off camera I would get the 58 model

More powerful flash like the 58 can recycle a bit quicker which is handy than the smaller fl600 is the reason :)

If you need more power look into the cheetah lights like the 180 or 360 but more money
    all manual (no ttl) but plenty of power long lasting batteries and remote trigger with power control !

Off camera I prefer manual anyway :)
    And prefer radio trigger

6. bfloating

bfloating New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for your thoughts