1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Metz M400 flash for M43 announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Holoholo55, Sep 18, 2016.

1. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2013
    As a long time Metz fan looks good, but have too many flashguns already.:(.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't quite tell from looking at the specs, does it act as a wireless commander? I have a Nissan i40 but it's a wireless slave only.

3. Schwingi

Schwingi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Austria
    I'm also a proud owner of the Nissin i40, any improvements in the new Metz compared to this proven little beast?

4. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The i60 is kind of overkill for me, I'd prefer a smaller but fully featured unit to act as commander and for those times I need a bit of outdoor fill on-camera. I've already got a second hand Metz 52 AF-1 for use as an off camera slave.

6. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    TBH wjiang, the speedlight thing is an area I've struggled to settle on a unit.
    I use location kit pretty much exclusively, but there are times I need a speedlight, or on occasion, several. Run and gun at weddings is one area that springs to mind.
    I'm having to stick with my D4 for weddings because of the first dance and low light requirements, but the speedlight system works great and utilises an external power pack.

Now the E-M1 II has been announced, I can see the D4 finally being laid to rest. I use my E-M1s for pretty much everything else, and I believe the mkII will fill in where the mk1 is a little wanting.

The i60 has a power port, hence my interest. But I'm keeping an eye on this newly announced Metz M400 too

Not sure if the new Olympus flash announced today has a power port or not

7. Schwingi

Schwingi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Austria
    as @wjiang@wjiang already posted. The i60 is a little too big. At the moment I'm very happy with my i40. :)

8. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I really, really fancy the i40 but don't think it'll man up for the required work.
    Shame, really. The size really appeals

9. seventysixersfan

seventysixersfan Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2016
    Alexandria, VA
    Brian
    very interest in this flash for my e-P5 but wondering how it compares, if at all, to the Meike/Neewer MK/NW320?

10. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Just on specs alone the Metz is higher specced - brighter, HSS, built in reflector/ diffuser, and I'd guess it's fully articulated. But I bet the price reflects that - has anyone seen a price mentioned?

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. seventysixersfan

seventysixersfan Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2016
    Alexandria, VA
    Brian
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I also believe the Meike doesn't zoom, and I'm sure the Metz will, making the Metz much more powerful for direct flash with longer lenses. Not relevant if the flash is bounced, though.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1