Metz 58 AF-2 Flash Servo Mode with GX7 Pop-up Flash?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Dogman, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    I recently bought the Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2 for use in the wireless mode with a Lumix GX-7. The Slave Mode works flawlessly. It's a great flash and easy to use...except for the Servo mode. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it seems that sometimes I can get it to work, but most of the time it doesn't sync using the GX7 pop-up flash. Is there some trick that is not explained in the manual for using the Servo mode with a Panasonic pop-up flash?

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    A quick googling shows that maybe only the Canon version has the preflash supression needed to work in servo (dumb) mode. I'm pretty sure I had the same issue with my 50, but my new 52 has a learning mode.

3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Found it. From the manual (page 123)

4. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did happen to see that note in the Metz instruction manual, but it's incorrect for the Panasonic Lumix GX-7. The Servo Mode is indeed supported by the GX-7 built-in flash. I finally figured it out after I posted my question.

To get the GX-7 pop-up flash to work with the Mecablitz 58 AF-2 in Servo Mode, the GX-7 pop-up flash must be set in a manual flash mode with no pre-flash. To do this, you must first go through the camera menu to set the flash wireless mode to OFF (Screen 2/3). Then, go back to Screen 1/3 and set the Firing Mode to MANUAL. The flash output values can then be controlled (1) in the camera using the Manual Flash Adjustment in Screen 2/3 or (2) in the flash using the flash value parameter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.