Metz 58 AF-2 Flash Servo Mode with GX7 Pop-up Flash?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Dogman, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    I recently bought the Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2 for use in the wireless mode with a Lumix GX-7. The Slave Mode works flawlessly. It's a great flash and easy to use...except for the Servo mode. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it seems that sometimes I can get it to work, but most of the time it doesn't sync using the GX7 pop-up flash. Is there some trick that is not explained in the manual for using the Servo mode with a Panasonic pop-up flash?

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    A quick googling shows that maybe only the Canon version has the preflash supression needed to work in servo (dumb) mode. I'm pretty sure I had the same issue with my 50, but my new 52 has a learning mode.

3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Found it. From the manual (page 123)

4. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did happen to see that note in the Metz instruction manual, but it's incorrect for the Panasonic Lumix GX-7. The Servo Mode is indeed supported by the GX-7 built-in flash. I finally figured it out after I posted my question.

To get the GX-7 pop-up flash to work with the Mecablitz 58 AF-2 in Servo Mode, the GX-7 pop-up flash must be set in a manual flash mode with no pre-flash. To do this, you must first go through the camera menu to set the flash wireless mode to OFF (Screen 2/3). Then, go back to Screen 1/3 and set the Firing Mode to MANUAL. The flash output values can then be controlled (1) in the camera using the Manual Flash Adjustment in Screen 2/3 or (2) in the flash using the flash value parameter.