1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Metz 50AF-1 stuck in "M" mode- it refuses to change modes ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SteveNunez, Apr 22, 2015.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Anyone familiar with the Metz 50 AF-1 flash?
    I purchased it from a fellow here on the forum a short while ago and tried using it for the 1st time and I've noticed it's stuck in M mode despite having tried everything!
    I've downloaded the manual and have read it completely and it just doesn't appear to be functioning correctly- anyone know what I can do?

I tested it when it arrived and the flash seemed to work fine for the few test shots I tried with it...........then put it away and tried using it today for the 1st real series of modeling photos and no luck at all~ I'm bummed out as I lost the evening's shots (and model's time) and this flash seems to be a dud!

Hope you guys can suggest something.......can it be reset?

2. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    After playing with the flash for awhile pressing all sorts of button combos- I've seemed to come across the "RES" option which seems to indicate "Reset" of which I've now done- flash seems to be working 100% correctly----- odd but glad it's working now.

3. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    Glad to hear you found the solution. I have this flash and absolutely like it. Always test and prepare your gear before heading out.

4. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Do your AA batts get stuck inside and become difficult to remove?

5. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    No, never heard of that. Man it is so strange you met so many strange problems.

6. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Tell me about it.........the reset is no big deal as it's all working as it should- so no biggie (although it was a bummer to miss the photo shoot opportunity)......but now I'm noticing the AA batts get stuck- as if they've swollen- but these are premium cells and have not enlarged.........not a super big problem but an annoyance.....I'll try other AA's and see if perhaps my cells are slightly larger than normal.

7. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    My Eneloop batteries fit well inside.

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Metz flashes generally have little red things on the positive contacts to prevent you putting the batteries in backwards and reversing polarity thus damaging the flash. (well, all the flashes I have made by them have it, however none of them is newer than... 5 or 6 years old, the design may have changed.)

If the AA cells have a larger than normal "nipple" they will jam in it and refuse to come out, I've never had a problem with Eneloops.

9. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I think the cells Ive been using were a bit larger than normal.......standard AA fits well.
    I've put the flash for sale- I can't get it into SL mode reliably........so it's a waste for me.