Metz 48AF... off camera... adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Sugarman, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Sugarman

Sugarman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Hi everyone.

I'm not sure if I am asking in the right place but I have a few doubts using a Metz 48AF flash with my Pana G1. I have a remote trigger that works well but obviously I have to set the Metz manually for portrait work.

I am not clear about the flash/zoom setting for different lenses... I would primarilly use a 50mm Canon fd 1.8 or a Rokkor 50mm 1.4, setting, indoors and preferably flash set up as shoot-through or umbrella bounce anywhere between 2.5m and 4m from subject.

Obviously I will need to know the guide number but to check this from the Metz guide book I will need to know my flash/zoom ratio.

I may also use a Canon 135mm fd 2.8

I would truly appreciate pointers or help

thanks in advance

Joe

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can just take a few pictures to determine exposure.

When I use my monolights, I set the color temperature to flash, exposure manual, and the display to "Live boost", which shows a nice live image regardless of what the shutter speed and aperture are set to. Your basic control over the flash exposure is camera aperture, flash power, and flash-to-subject distance. If your flash has manual flash power ratios, that is one way to set the unit, but changes in subject to flash distance will need to be watched. If your flash has a thyrister, you can set one of the auto ranges and use the recommended flash distance range to set the aperture. You can also mix ambient light and the shutter speed can be changed for that.

BTW, I have an E-P1 and so I do not know what the settings are on your camera or the nomenclature.

3. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    What you are trying to do has nothing to do with a m43 camera, the concept is the same with all camera system.

Bookmark this site and read it as many times as you can. It will teach you everything you need to know about using your flash in manual mode off the camera. There is a lot of info on there.
    Strobist: Lighting 101

I will try to sum it up for you and answer your question.

The zoom setting of your flash is not that important because you are using your flash off camera and it is NOT related to which lens you use. Different setting will give you different looks. If you set your zoom wide, you will get less power but cover wider area. If you zoom it in like to 100mm or so, you will get more power BUT the light will be more narrow like a spot light.

But since you are using it in an umbrella the zoom setting is going to depend on how far the flash is on the shaft of the umbrella and how big the umbrella is. Lets say you have a small umbrella, if you set the zoom to be too wide and too far back, the light may flash OUTSIDE the umbrella. The same thing if you did the opposite extreme. If you have a big umbrella and push the flash too far in, and zoom it, it is not hitting enough of the surface area of the umbrella and won't be as efficient. Try to find a middle ground where the flash is not spilling out or hitting a small area on the umbrella.

The distance between the flash and the subject is not as important on the zoom setting either. What is important is the power ratio of the flash. Like full power or 1/2 power or 1/4 power and so on.

In a nut shell the father away they are from the light the more power you need. But there are other factors that will effect it like your aperture and what ISO you are at. I light meter will really help you with getting the right exposure.

------------------------------------

I tried to sum it up as best as I can in the easiest way to understand it. I don't know what you skill level is but you need to have some basic understanding of the relationship between flash power, ISO and aperture to use the flash in manual.
    It is a lot to understand but once you understand it, it is pretty easy.

Go to the link above and go through lighting 101.

Feel free to ask ANY question about off camera flash here or PM me. I am more then happy to help you out. I've been eating and breathing this stuff for the past few years.

4. Sugarman

Sugarman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Hikari and Saelee, many thanks for your replies. Saelee, I have seen Strobist 101 before but not stopped to "take the course".... more fool me... I will definitely go back and "enroll".

I have since come across a very nice blog called "Tangents" which covers a wide variety of photographic issues, quite a few of which are about flash. There is also a Q&A forum. I like the blog because the blogger seems to have a knack of making the complicated seem simple.

Addy here:

http://neilvn.com/tangents/index/

Once again, thanks

Joe