1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[EXPIRED] Metz 48 AF-1 flash

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by Student_19, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Student_19

Student_19 New to Mu-43

0   0   0

Jan 9, 2012
    2012-01-08_21_08_08_small.

For sale is a Metz 48 AF-1 in excellent cosmetic and working condition. I used it on my GH1 and it is TTL and HSS capable. Purchased used, so no original box or manual. Optical slave mode with Panasonic may not work.

Please have look:
    Metz 48 AF-1

Thanks!

2. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

May 28, 2011
    Does it support manual mode + optical slave? The manual seems to imply that it only works in Olympus RC mode when used as slave, which means functionality with Panasonic bodies is limited.

3. Student_19

Student_19 New to Mu-43

0   0   0

Jan 9, 2012
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Have you tried that? I have a 48AF-1 with whatever firmware was current in late 2011. It includes the "servo" function which is described also in a user manual supplement PDF that I downloaded.

In the supplement it says: "In Panasonic cameras the slave mode is not supported by the built-in camera flash unit. The slave mode can only be used if a flash unit in the flash shoe of the camera operates in the manual flash mode"

My experience is that with a G1 built-in camera flash there is always a preflash and that this preflash always triggers the Metz when the Metz is set to full power. I have a $20 manual Vivitar flash that I use in the hot shoe. This works fine to trigger the Metz because there is no preflash. So, what I am getting is consistent with what Metz says.

I did try 1/2 and 1/4 power settings as discussed in the dpreview thread and the Metz did fire correctly with the G1 built-in flash at the 1/4 power setting but not at 1/2. Not sure why. Possibly there is a software "feature" (aka "bug") that reduces the slave photocell sensitivity when power settings are lowered. That would be consistent with the comment in the thread that firing on 1/2 power was "very random."

Have you been able to trigger the Metz at full power using the built-in flash on your GH-1? Is there a GH-1 flash mode that suppresses the preflash? I think that would be what it takes and possibly that is what is happening for the Pentax guy who was the OP on the thread.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    oldracer, my research indicated that it was not possible to suppress the preflash on any of the Panasonic bodies.

The reason why you were getting the Metz to fire at 1/4 power but not 1/2 or 1/1 was because at 1/4 the flash was able to recycle quickly enough that it actually flashed twice ... with the preflash and the main flash. That would actually be consistent with some people claiming that they would randomly get it to fire at 1/2. At that point, it's probably determined by the strength of their batteries. If the flash can recycle fast enough, it could double-flash at 1/2 power. At least, that what my testing with my GH2 and Metz 50 led me to believe. However, I could never get 1/2 to work, even with fully charged Eneloops.

I found overall that it was a lot easier for me to purchase cheap radio triggers for doing off-camera flash. But if I'm working with the flash on-camera, I love the Metz 50.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

May 28, 2011
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Of course! That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

8. Student_19

Student_19 New to Mu-43

0   0   0

Jan 9, 2012
    I didn't update this flash unit's firmware.

I could perform a test, but since I no longer have a lens for my GH1, I would have to use a Nikon DSLR.

9. Student_19

Student_19 New to Mu-43

0   0   0

Jan 9, 2012