1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metz 44?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RDKit, Apr 14, 2011.

1. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

I'm new to m4/3 and am looking for a flash (although I don't think I'll use it much). Seems like the Metz 44AF meets all my needs (recycles pretty fast, tilts & swivels, not too big).

I'd like to know of anyone's experience with this flash. I'm considering this for use on my GH2

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I got it for the epl-1 and it is a nice unit. Love that it tilt and swivel. With full TTL on and off camera. To do most adjustment it is control from the camera.

3. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

Good to hear ... but

What's the build seem like - fit & finish, durability, etc? More thoughts or observations on its power and exposure.

Just want to learn from others about this flash before buying a new one (there don't seem to be any used ones that ever go for sale). Rather learn the easy way - your experience - than the hard way - my money:smile:

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    It is made in germany, very solid build. I have no complaints at all about the build quality. I like that it uses 4 batteries, which give it more life between recharge. The exposure seems pretty accurate. I personally prefer to shot at -1/3 to -2/3 flash EV and work on the restoring details in PP. I do the same with my canon system.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

A good unit - make sure you order the 4/3 (covers micro 4/3) unit as it comes in several brand specific flavours.

6. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

Thanks ... I'll remember

Thanks for the pointers & the reminder to get the right model.

Anyone have any problems or difficulty with this unit?

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I have it and LOVE it. Exactly as you say, good balance of size vs. power. Works flawlessly as a wireless unit too. Works perfectly on my D-LUX 5 as well.

[​IMG]

8. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

Picture Helps alot

Thanks for the picture ... looks like it would be a nice size for GH-2. I'll add this to my shopping list.

Thank you everyone for the comments ... very nice & helpful group of people on this forum. I am switching over from Sonya700 (used Canon before) and I find the GH-2 great and the people here are a wonderful assest.

9. thygocanberra

thygocanberra New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2011
    Hi, I'm a newcomer to this forum as well.

I've been looking for a review of the Metz 44 Af-1 but with little luck (I'm actually a Nikpn user).

This flash looks an interesting compromise at a lower price than the branded swivel & tilt flashes.

However, I have a question to those using it - how do you find the available steps in the manual mode for this flash? The options are: full, 1/2, 1/8, 1/64 power. Have you found these limiting? and/or does your camera allow you to adjust power settings through the camera (interestingly I can adjust the power of the SB400 (which has no controls except on/off) through the camera on the baby Nikons (D40 etc).

Thanks for any tips in this regards

ps if any of you are familiar with the Nikon SB600, how does the Metz 44 AF-1 compar size-wise. It looks more aesthetically pleasing to me and I think a bit smaller than the 600.

10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    with the Metz 44 you can control more in camera then with the manual controls. It was design to have the camera provide most of the interface vs the flash itself. I really like gooding off camera with the full ttl ability. I have not used the manual flash that much, I prefer using the ttl more the manual flash. Love the tilt and swivel head.

But as a whole, I am very fond of metz's flashes. They are well built, and I use them with my canon system just the bigger ones, the 58 and 48.

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    the metz is a bit smaller to the sb600. The flash in the same size range would as the sb600 would be the metz 50 AF-1.

12. thygocanberra

thygocanberra New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for your quick response.

I am angling to the Metz 44 AF-1 as the alternative to the SB600 or SB700 - enough power but with swivel & tilt, and portable. If the 44 AF-1 is a bit smaller that's to the good. The 44 AF-1 also has both the built in reflector and diffuser whereas the sb600 doesn't. The 700 does but it is significanlty more expensive.

I don't anticipate playing with off-camera flash in the foreseeable future.

My main use will be the occasional people inside shoot and I think the 44 Af-1 would give me a reasonably powerful unit for that, including in portrait orientation. For really light travelling, I've already got the SB400, which for its diminutive size (literally you can put it in your pocket) is really quite capable.

I too would normally rely on the TTL but might play with the manual settings a bit - nice to know you can adjust in camera's controls not just the big stop jumps on the unit itself.

13. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I am new to flash also. How does Nissin Di 466 compare to Metz 44? I am curious because i heard good things about Di 466 but Metz 44 is double the price. One advantage I noticed was that Metz 44 is swivel also.

14. jopasm

jopasm New to Mu-43

Mar 7, 2011
    AFAIK the Nissin does not support wireless TTL. If you want to use the flash off camera that's a very useful feature.

15. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    Metz AF48

I have the now discontinued AF48. I really like it. I found the build quality to be better than the Oly. AF48 has the ability to update the firmware via usb.

If you buy 2800mh AA batteries recycle time is pretty quick. Regardless of which flash you choose, I recommend you buy an extension cord so you can hold it off camera.

It certainly lights up the scene, even bounced off the ceiling.

16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Really smaller than the SB600? I find them very comparable in size. Mine has long been sold, so maybe I'm mistaken. I think the build quality is at least equal, and I intended to control the camera more than the flash anyway, so the simple interface was one of the reasons I liked this unit. BUT the SB-600 was known to have one of the best LCD displays (better than the SB-800), so that's quite a difference over the Metz. I have 12' ceilings in my home and it bounces off them easily. I didn't like that it wasn't accessorized well, and had to buy a flash base on ebay, but it was only $4.95. I also don't like that it didn't come with a bag, but I guess I'd prefer to keep the money in the flash than the accessories and keep the price point low.

Having used every Nikon flash since the SB-10, this one is well made and won't dissapoint you in any regard except power. THAT is a size/power choice you have to make based on your need. I preferred a smaller unit, and it has been all I need. MUCH better buy than the Oly FL-36R, and I'm a camera brand-only freak.

Oh, and it HAS the USB update feature as well.

17. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Is this true? I'm new to the world of flashes, but I thought Di466 is featuring the wireless remote flash system...

[​IMG]

18. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    This is an old thread, but I'm bumping it for information sake.
    Nissin Di466 has optical slave, but is not capable of wireless TTL.

• Like Like x 1