1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

COMPLETED Metz 44 AF-1 flash (with weird noise)

Discussion in 'Completed Listings' started by Luke, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I sold this last week and it developed in transit some sort of mechanical noise when turned on so was returned. Also the buttons are a bit sticky, but nothing that can't be dealt with. The flash still functions perfectly. If I were handy, I'd take the thing apart and find out what is causing that noise and get it straightened out. Alas, I'm not. I am selling this with a no D.O.A warranty. I guarantee for it to work properly (excepting that strange noise on start-up) upon arrival.

Sorry for the crap video.....I'm running late for work and I'm not a videographer, but you can hear the noise it makes on startup.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="225" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=994440246b&photo_id=7753075992&hd_default=false"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=994440246b&photo_id=7753075992&hd_default=false" height="225" width="400"></embed></object>

The Metz 44 AF-1 flash for Four Thirds ( Olympus/ Leica/ Panasonic) The prices I'm finding for it new are $188 - $229. I originally sold it for $160. Now that it has this issue, I'll put it in your mailbox for $80.
    7692726294_159ec3c9c9.
    DSCF1004 by Lukinosity, on Flickr

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Interesting. Does the zoom still work?

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    you may as well have just asked a question in Latin. I don't even know what that means. There is no part of the flash (on the outside) the extends or zooms in any way. I presume you know what you're talking about. How would I be able to tell if the zoom is working?

I'd be happy to test it in any way I can for you.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    No, I'm talking about the internal zoom of the flash. Look in the manual (the one I downloaded from Metz has instructions on page 62) for Manual Zoom. If you look in the flash head as you change the focal length setting, you should be able to faintly see the bulb moving closer or farther away. Does that work or does it cause clicking?

EDIT: Sorry about that, I was reading the wrong manual. Trying to figure this out using the correct manual.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Bummer, it looks like with this model you cannot control the flash zoom manually; it has to be connected to a body with a lens, which you no longer have ... !!

There is one thing you could try ... pull out the wide-angle diffuser (the little clear plastic flippy thingie, not the white bounce card but the other one that flips down over the front). Does anything happen when you do that? There should be some movement inside the flash.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Actually, I still have my old G1 with a kit zooms. I was saving it as my eBay camera.....none of my fancy new cameras have a tiltable screen which comes in handy when I need to photograph a couple hundred items ion an afternoon.

I'll try it out tomorrow morning and see if I can see any movement within. Now that I know there is some sort of zooming mechanism inside, the sound actually sounds to me like gears being off track or something.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I tested this again after my discussion here with Sprinke. The internal zoom mechanism is the thing that is making the noise. It is off it's track or something. The flash functions, but the zoom mechanism is not working. If you're handy, you may be able to fix it. I brought it into a local camera shop and their best guess was that it would be around $50 to fix it, but I'd need to send it in to a firm quote.

I'm open to offers today. Otherwise I'll put it on eBay tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.