Metz 36 AF-4 for GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iansky, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have read a couple of adverts for the above Metz flash where it says it works with Panasonic/Olympus four thirds, I called a retailer who sells them and he was not sure if I would get full TTL capability with the GF1.

Does anyone have any experience with this flash on the GF1? I do not want to spend 3 times the price of this unit for the FL36 if this will suffice for the odd occasion I may require more than my built in flash provides.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.:confused:
  2. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2009
    I was given one of these for Christmas for my G1 and seems fine (although I confess I have not had much time with it). If there is a way to definitively check then I am happy to do so.

For what it's worth, there are absolutely no manual controls on the back and a manual pull in and out of the head to set focal range so it's definitely communicating with the camera!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I found this report, which says the flash works in TTL mode on a G1.
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

Thanks Amin,

Not conclusive enough for me to make an informed decision so I may just wait and see if I can pick up a Panasonic/Olympus unit secondhand.
  5. Elliot

Elliot Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Working with Metz

I am using the larger Metz flash and it seems to work just fine on both my Olympus pen cameras and the GH1 and G1 Panasonics. I do more available light when I can, but the flash does seem to be accurate.

The only time I had a problem was being to close - which meant I had to underexpose the flash only. To close meant a few inches away.