Metz 26 AF-1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    It's a toss up between the Metz 26 AF-1 or the Oly FR300R.

The Metz is less expensive and more powerful.

The output of the FR300R is adjustable via my E-M1, would the Metz be likewise adjustable via the camera, I can't seem to find out.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  3. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I was very interested in the Metz 26 AF-1 because it sounded powerful enough and was smaller than my FL-600R, making it a better choice for travel. Unfortunately, the user reviews on BHPhoto were decidedly mixed. Dunno what to say about that. I have held off because of that uncertainty.

On the other hand, the Leica SF 26 looks to be identical to the Metz, but costs twice as much if you're into that sort of thing. :)
  4. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    From what I've read the mecablitz 26 is not made in germany like the other Metz flashes and is not manufactured and designed as well as the other Metz flashes. Also the fact that the 26 uses two AAA batteries means that its recycle rate will be utterly pitiful just like the 300r.
    I own a 300r and I haven't used it for anything but test shots since it's not much more powerful than the built flash on my G3. I haven't compared it with the LM1 that came with my Olympus PM2, but it's probably better, but not enough that I'd want to carry it around.
    The 300r's 20m GN @100ASA at 12mm is EXTREME wishful thinking, especially when the 600r is rated only 32m GN @100ASA @42mm.

I'd only use the 300r as a fill flash, for example it can't be used for any photos with people more than about 12ft away, it just isn't powerful enough.

I carry my FL36 instead of packing the 300r if I need a flash.
  5. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    Just looked at B&H today and now the expected ship date is in October! :confused: Has anyone actually gotten their hands on one of these?
  6. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Not because I was impatient, but I finally got the Oly FR300R.

It's a beaut IMVHO, not cheap though, by comparison.

Also most importantly..Oly has variably flash duration the Metz does not.

Sorry for the link, I came across this on another forum, it may be of interest.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015