1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metz 15MS-1 Macro Flash/OM-D E-M1/Oly 60mm.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    just a wee bit large :)

3. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    As long as it's light enough I guess it's fit for purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Whoa! That is big!

My STF22 is pretty big too. It gets the job, done, though, and it's not too heavy to use comfortably, at least with my EM5 and its vertical grip.

Is the Metz heavy and/or awkward? Or just big?

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Aawkward and big.

6. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    I have the exact same setup except I have an E-M5. Personally, I like it. It looks large but is relatively light compared to the ring flash I had with my last camera system (Pentax). I recommend you try it out for a few days at least before you return it. I'm sure you can find something smaller, but sill it be as capable as the Metz?

7. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    What a monolith! Although my macro setup on the D7000 is large too, just my D7000 is large enough to make it look normal

8. Agricola

Agricola New to Mu-43

Mar 30, 2014
    Hi Dave - I've just got to the same position - ie EM1 plus 60mm lens - what did you do in the end ?
    thanks
    Andrew

9. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Nothing bakes a flash lens like a piece of plastic attached one millimetre in front of it.

10. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Have you used the Macro Arm Light? It looks like just what I need, except that it won't work on the E-M10. I have found several similar knock offs that don't need the accessory port, but they don't seem to have very good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/JJC-Olympus-Perfect-Internet-Pictures/dp/B0089Y914A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Promaster-LED...m_sbs_p_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=13WX238ZDQEW0G9W7C0K

11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    raise a dead thread...

I just got the mecablitz 15. I've never used a ring flash before, but I'm finding the instructions not very useful (took me a while how to change the adaptor rings).

What size step up/step down ring do I need for it to fit the oly 60mm?

12. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Don't have mine handy, but if you have the 60mm macro, the kit comes with the adapter you need. I think it came with one already clipped into the ring. Then there were a few others included.

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I don't believe my kit contains the right sized adapter. I have quite a few to choose from but the smallest one is only 52mm. The 60mm macro has a filter thread of 46mm.

I just bought a step up ring from 46mm to one of the other sized adaptors. I figure this should do the trick... Unfortunately it's shipping from china, so gonna be a few weeks until I can mount the macro lens with the flash.

14. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Is the Metz flash TTL controlled or is it fully manual and just triggered by the OCF. I know they say its wireless but from reading its just wire less not wireless IE controlled via radio waves as in Wifi, it just has no wired connection?

Paul

15. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Not sure what you mean... but it is not controlled by radio waves. It is controlled optically by the on-camera-flash, if your on camera flash supports TTL. The output will be adjusted according what the OCF TTL metering measures.

16. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Yes, I had forgotten I'd gotten an adapter ring for the Metz 15MS-1. It does have TTL control and like Oly flashes it is controllable from my EM5. I also like the ability to shift the emphasis of light from balanced to right or left heavy. Go to Metz sight and download PDF manual for details.

17. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since the thread has been raised, I tried both the Olympus & after market macro arms & they are fairly weak in output. For the stylus 1 I have no other choice when in macro mode but to use the after market arms as the flash (including external & remote flash) is not possible.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Oddly I remembered tonight that I have the Metz 15 MS-1 hiding away and that I haven't tried it yet with my shiny new Olympus 60mm Macro.

Sadly it doesn't look like it supports TTL metering with the (Edit: Name of camera removed as I don't want to advertise some American fucking shopping site and someone's gone and updated my post with an affiliate link). Maybe I should use my E-PL5 for flashlit macro photography.

It is however just too darn big - not for the camera or the lens (although yeah, it does look rather daft) but for my camera bag. Do I take my 100-300 and my 35-100 or do I take the Metz. Not really a choice.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  19. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham