Metropolis II - a short video with GH2

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
I've been working on my filmmaking and editing skills (still pretty weak). Here is my latest project. It's about 2 1/2 minutes long.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/35805675?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

All handheld footage (no tripods allowed) so it's a bit shaky. I used the 14-140mm, the 20mm, and the 45mm at various times. Edited in iMovie 11.

Enjoy, and CC appreciated!

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
Looks good.

I think you should get a small stabilizer. Something like this: eBay My World - steady-dragon-stabilizers
Thanks. I do have a small stabilizer like that, but it would have been useless in this particular situation. There were tons of people mobbing the exhibit, and I kept switching the lenses. Trying to get the stabilizer balanced in those conditions would have been virtually impossible.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very nice! The shakiness is the biggest problem I see and if you couldn't use a tripod then it has to be. Well shot and edited. Any longer and it would have gotten monotonous, so a good length. Love the reference! I just watched Metropolis on Netfix the other day , the version with the new footage added. A film that was well ahead of it's time.

gsciorio

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That is so so awesome! The shaky footage was noticeable but it didn't bother me. This is more about the installation then the footage.

Don't waste your money on a stabilizer they are hard to balance and if you got budget spend the moneyon more lenses with IS. A gorilla pod works well too. You can shape it into a rig that will help.

I think the music choice was spot on.

Good job!

punkman

Mu-43 Regular
and I kept switching the lenses

I would have used just the 14-150. Was there a particular reason to change them around, other than testing them?

Don't waste your money on a stabilizer

Stabilized lenses wouldn't help in this case. If you want to move with a handheld camera, you really need a stabiliser. If you don't need to move, then a tripod or even a couple of books, will do just fine.

gsciorio

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would have used just the 14-150. Was there a particular reason to change them around, other than testing them?

Stabilized lenses wouldn't help in this case. If you want to move with a handheld camera, you really need a stabiliser. If you don't need to move, then a tripod or even a couple of books, will do just fine.

Looks like they were all static shots so how would a lens with IS not help?

43hk

Mu-43 Veteran
Really enjoyed that. Nice match of film to music.

Mesmeric.

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
Nice video! Did you try to use iMovie's stabilization feature?
I did try it on a couple of shots. But I have found that the stabilized footage has a tendency to make objects in the shot look wobbly, like jello. Especially when there are obvious straight lines in the shot.

adelorenzo

Mu-43 Regular
This is awesome. Really cool project and I thought the music and editing were very well done.

Shake was not really an issue for me but I did find myself thinking that some camera movement would have been nice. Hard to do pan-tilt stuff handheld, of course. Maybe a shoulder rig or a fig rig could have been used?

Anyways, just a minor comment. Great work!

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
This is awesome. Really cool project and I thought the music and editing were very well done.

Shake was not really an issue for me but I did find myself thinking that some camera movement would have been nice. Hard to do pan-tilt stuff handheld, of course. Maybe a shoulder rig or a fig rig could have been used?

Anyways, just a minor comment. Great work!

Thank you! Perhaps I should have waited to go to the museum on a day when it was not so crowded! (It was museum free day, plus the Metropolis II exhibit had just opened that weekend.) When I was on the floor, I was literally jostling elbow-to-elbow with other people for space to stand and a clear shot. Plus the museum guards kept telling people to keep moving. Up on the balcony, I was able to rest the camera on the railing and get a little more stability that way.

saintsimon

New to Mu-43
I remember back in one of my very first classes in college, intro to Env. Design, one of the professors showed us this tip where you get a string and screw to provide tension and thus provides some stability without the hassle of a tripod - wonder if this would've been helpful at LACMA? Here is a video showing how that works...
[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlJl7TbXTA]Easy Image Stabilizer For Any Camera - Photography Trick - YouTube[/ame]

Psynema

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Gary Hanna
I've been working on my filmmaking and editing skills (still pretty weak). Here is my latest project. It's about 2 1/2 minutes long.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/35805675?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

All handheld footage (no tripods allowed) so it's a bit shaky. I used the 14-140mm, the 20mm, and the 45mm at various times. Edited in iMovie 11.

Enjoy, and CC appreciated!

tilt shift extraordinaire!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom