1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metropolis II - a short video with GH2

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by sprinke, Jan 28, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I've been working on my filmmaking and editing skills (still pretty weak). Here is my latest project. It's about 2 1/2 minutes long.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/35805675?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

All handheld footage (no tripods allowed) so it's a bit shaky. I used the 14-140mm, the 20mm, and the 45mm at various times. Edited in iMovie 11.

Enjoy, and CC appreciated!

• Like Like x 4
  2. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Thanks. I do have a small stabilizer like that, but it would have been useless in this particular situation. There were tons of people mobbing the exhibit, and I kept switching the lenses. Trying to get the stabilizer balanced in those conditions would have been virtually impossible.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very nice! The shakiness is the biggest problem I see and if you couldn't use a tripod then it has to be. Well shot and edited. Any longer and it would have gotten monotonous, so a good length. Love the reference! I just watched Metropolis on Netfix the other day , the version with the new footage added. A film that was well ahead of it's time.

5. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    That is so so awesome! The shaky footage was noticeable but it didn't bother me. This is more about the installation then the footage.

Don't waste your money on a stabilizer they are hard to balance and if you got budget spend the moneyon more lenses with IS. A gorilla pod works well too. You can shape it into a rig that will help.

I think the music choice was spot on.

Good job!

6. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    I would have used just the 14-150. Was there a particular reason to change them around, other than testing them?

Stabilized lenses wouldn't help in this case. If you want to move with a handheld camera, you really need a stabiliser. If you don't need to move, then a tripod or even a couple of books, will do just fine.

7. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Looks like they were all static shots so how would a lens with IS not help?

• Like Like x 1
  8. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Really enjoyed that. Nice match of film to music.

Mesmeric.

9. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Pretty slick, Debi :bravo-009: The shakiness didn't bother me at all. Editing looked good and you made a great choice on the music. Very nice piece.

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    DOF. The 45mm and the 20mm were able to give nice shallow DOF on the closeups.

11. Landy

Landy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2012
    Nice video! Did you try to use iMovie's stabilization feature?

12. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I did try it on a couple of shots. But I have found that the stabilized footage has a tendency to make objects in the shot look wobbly, like jello. Especially when there are obvious straight lines in the shot.

13. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    This is awesome. Really cool project and I thought the music and editing were very well done.

Shake was not really an issue for me but I did find myself thinking that some camera movement would have been nice. Hard to do pan-tilt stuff handheld, of course. Maybe a shoulder rig or a fig rig could have been used?

Anyways, just a minor comment. Great work!

14. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Thank you! Perhaps I should have waited to go to the museum on a day when it was not so crowded! (It was museum free day, plus the Metropolis II exhibit had just opened that weekend.) When I was on the floor, I was literally jostling elbow-to-elbow with other people for space to stand and a clear shot. Plus the museum guards kept telling people to keep moving. Up on the balcony, I was able to rest the camera on the railing and get a little more stability that way.

15. saintsimon

saintsimon New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2012
    I remember back in one of my very first classes in college, intro to Env. Design, one of the professors showed us this tip where you get a string and screw to provide tension and thus provides some stability without the hassle of a tripod - wonder if this would've been helpful at LACMA? Here is a video showing how that works...
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlJl7TbXTA]Easy Image Stabilizer For Any Camera - Photography Trick - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Gary Hanna
    tilt shift extraordinaire!