1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metallic Printing Heads up

Discussion in 'Printing' started by stuntman, Feb 3, 2015.

1. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Hi all
    I have had prints done on metallic media with mixed results. Mostly ICC and toning issues. Never the less it costs money. What I have found is a paper from www.inkpresspaper.com that is what they call their metallic glossy paper. This paper is simply amazing! I will use this to test on for larger prints because it gives the exact result at home so you can adjust your photos for outside bigger prints. If you just want to print on their regular size media, which comes in all sizes, you will not have to go out and have your prints done outside at all. I print a lot of 8x10 stuff and this paper is the best. I also print a lot of 13x19 size landscapes and it is still fantastic. The only caveat is, it seems to only come in gloss versus a semi gloss finish. I would prefer the later but I am still amazed with this paper.
    Cheers

Quick edit: I have only used this for black and white and it gives a true silver gelatin look. For color I have been using Canson's Rag Photographique. It has zero brighteners and is also amazing paper. Luckily, I have a Dick Blick store around the corner....

2. Wayneb

Wayneb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks, ordered some metallic glossy to play with.

3. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    UPDATE: I have printed a bunch of color photos on the metallic and they do look stunning. It adds stunning twist to the sky and clouds, giving them a 3d effect. But, over all, this paper is breathtaking for black and white. The highlights just glow and shift in different viewing angles and different light. The comments I have received on 2 prints I have shown are, "It looks like you are there" and "It sucks you in". For color I will stick with Canson Rag Photographique. It is the finest paper I have used period for landscapes in color. I guess that's why they've been around for over 515 years......