1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Metabones speeds things up for the Blackmagic video cameras!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Dec 3, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

http://www.metabones.com/article/of...bmpcc-speed-boosters-available-starting-today

Holy maximum aperture Batman! :eek:

An f1.2 becomes an f.74 on the Pocket Cinema!

There are two versions. One is for the full size Cinema camera with a .64 magnification and 1.33 stop increase. The other is for the Pocket Cinema and has a .58 magnification and speeds up the aperture 1.66 stops. Not sure exactly why they say they won't fit and could damage regular m4/3 bodies. Sure they would vignette but not fit? BTW they also add instant clickless aperture rings to whatever Nikon lens is fitted. They are also very affordable, being just shy of $500.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Wow, more fun toys!

I was thinking maybe we could use these on regular m4/3 bodies, at the cost of some vignetting, but the press-release says mounting it on anything other than the BM bodies can cause camera damage. Still, pretty cool.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    My guess is that the glass sticking out the back is what makes these work on BM, but not regular m4/3 cameras. I know they have said previously that the ,74 was the sweet spot for m4/3 cameras. Could also be issues that are forgiven in video, but have issues for stills.

4. speedandstyle

The sensor itself is the same distance BUT the plastic inside around the sensor differs. Note that both of the Black Magic cameras have sensors smaller than m4/3. The m4/3 sensor is 18mm x 13.5mm, whereas the Cinema camera's sensor 15.8mm x 8.88mm and the Pocket's is even smaller at 12.5mm x 7mm.

Here are some pics comparing the mounts.

GX7-GH3-NEX6-EP5.
    Ignore the Sony!

Blackmagic-Cinema-Camera-Micro-4-3-Mount-No-Lens-Front-e1347006094364.

Blackmagic-Pocket-Cinema-Camera-Front-no-Lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    My understanding is that the shutter in MTF camera's can hit this adapter. Seems like a very decent 'sensor upgrade' for movie moguls.

6. speedandstyle

That makes sense! I just tested my PEN and the shutter is a good millimeter in front of the sensor itself. A video camera would use an electronic shutter so it has nothing to hit the rear elements of the new Speedboosters.

7. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    So in theory, the GM1 can use it albeit using the electronic shutter, right?

That'd be fun!

8. speedandstyle

Theoretically yes but if I had a GM I would not try it. Not until it was confirmed but somebody else that is.

9. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    You could probably cheat and use extension tubes to mount it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mu-43 mobile app

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Extension tubes effectively reduce the f/stop as well don't they? You'd be losing the speed boost...

11. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Kind of, they reduce the light hitting the sensor, but not enough to cancel out the advantage, especially not how much you'd need to use for this.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mu-43 mobile app

12. speedandstyle

Extension tubes do increase the fstop{larger number} or decrease the light{I know what you meant} They do this since extending them effectively gives them have a longer focal length. And fstops are a ratio of aperture to focal length. However the light loss is small unless you extend a lot.

The big problem with using extension tubes to make these work is the reason why extension tubes exist - closer focusing ability and larger magnification. Even a tube just big enough to make these work would prevent focus at infinity and maybe limit focus is mere feet. Otherwise it should work.

13. speedandstyle

Here is a picture showing why the new speed boosters won't fit on regular m4/3 cameras.
    Bildschirmfoto-2013-12-05-um-18.30.26.

Image courtesy: Lensrentals.