1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Metabones releases Canon EF to M4/3rds Speedbooster

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by arentol, Aug 27, 2014.

1. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Looks like the adapter a lot of us have been waiting for is finally available for order, the Metabones Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster:

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BM1

$599 is a bit steep, but I guess you have to pay for the extra electronics needed to control the aperture with your camera.

Personally I have already ordered mine, and am really looking forward to using it with my remaining Canon lenses, particularly the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f/2 and Sigma 85mm f/1.4.

2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Since the biggest consideration is changing camera systems is usually what happens to the thousands of dollars of lenses that you've invested in, I think this could be a game-changer for a lot of people. If Olympus or Panasonic (or anyone really) could get the autofocus implemented, you might not even need to tempt people with speed-boosting. Come over to µ4/3 and bring all of your Canon glass with you where it'll work exactly the same aside from FOV. The draw of cheaper bodies and IBIS with the Canon lenses could open a big door for µ4/3. Kind of exciting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Nice news! Now we just need the Konica one! :D

4. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Consider this: The EF booster will handle most of the F mount lenses via adapters, inclusive of G lenses if you use the ones that are very fancy shims with a lever. Not to mention OM mount... Etc. As they say (Within the DSLR world) EF mount is the universal recipient.
    For $200 more you get automatic IBIS setting as well, EXIF reporting.

And I hope that MicroUSB port is indicative of firmware updates for a "possibly in the future: AF support." But that's just a dream in my head for now.

5. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Ooops, did I forget to mention their other new product?

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BM1

Same thing, but without the speedbooster part, so just the electronics part. $400 is really steep for this in my opinion, even $300 is pushing it. The main use I see for it is with longer lenses where you want the aperture control but don't want to lose focal length by using a speedbooster. Personally it is not something I am too interested in, but others might be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    As a mostly wildlife photographer I am really interested in this. Have been using FD lenses but they lack the wonderful new coatings and stuff. This now opens up the world of the 400mm to 800mm L glass. Actually I kind of want both of them, would be pretty useful on the 400mm f/5.6, like having two lenses.

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Same here, I've been looking for such an adapter. The options out there are even more expensive.