Metabones OM to M43 speedbooster

kadamnation

Mu-43 Regular
I was thrilled to see the announcement of the Metabones speedbooster for OM lenses, and I pretty much immediately ordered one.

The booster arrived last week, and I can confirm: it's great! I spent the weekend in NYC, shooting my GX7 mostly on manual with a Speedboosted 50mm/1.8 Zuiko and the VC II light meter--I've "practicing" for my all-manual film rangefinder, as I still haven't quite gotten the hang of metering. In any event, the lens and booster combo performed superbly; the quality of the mount is so much higher than the cheap fotodiox OM adaptor that is been using as to make it feel like a completely different lens, even aside from the focal reduction.

image-3008896923.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

image-1258886761.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The adaptor claims a 71% focal length reduction and one extra stop of light, so the 50mm becomes a 71mm after the 2x crop factor. 50–90mm is my favorite focal range, and with this adaptor the lens is sharper than it used to be right from the widest aperture all the way through to f16 (which I've confirmed is about as bright as f11 without the booster): for the first time I've actually been able to get satisfactory results with street photos after finding the right hyper focal distance.

Has anyone else gotten the OM adaptor, or tried the metabones adaptors with lenses for other systems? I've been intrigued by the idea of a speedbooster for a long time, but my only non-native lenses are OM or M mounts so I couldn't use any of the prior ones. If they're all this great, color me seriously impressed!

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse
I have used two. One for the Nikon mount with some of the old Nikon legends, and one for the CY mount using at first some Yashica lenses (cheap, but good) and then some Contax Zeiss lenses (whoa!).

All superlative stuff! I'm a big fan :biggrin: Search on this subforum for 'focal reducer' or 'speedbooster', and you should see some threads. Since the OM Speedbooster is new, noone has started an image thread as yet featuring some of the very highly regarded Zuiko lenses out there. I hope you'll continue this one with some more examples!

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
Since you are one of the first with metabones OM adapter please share more photos and observations with every OM lens you have, especially in the wide aperture values where the lenses suffer most from light fussiness , a sharpness compare at f=1.8 -2.8 with and without metabones on your OM 50/1.8 will be very useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Cool! I was going to order one too, but the shipping costs killed the deal..
I'm waiting for Adorama to carry it!

Please post more photos!!

Eugg

Mu-43 Rookie
thanks, please more photos!
as I understand IQ is not getting worst?

can be used with native lenses, e.g. Panasonic 20mm? if so it becomes 28mm?

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
The booster arrived last week, and I can confirm: it's great!

Has anyone else gotten the OM adaptor... If they're all this great, color me seriously impressed!
Yea, old thread, but I just wanted to second my enthusiasm for the Metabones Ultra for OM --> micro 4/3rds.

I have tried the Fotodiox one for $60, and found it to be total crap and sent it back. (Shamazon never refunded me the money, saying their vendor hasn't acknowledged return yet, and their buyer-protection does not apply to their third-party vendors. I'm done with Shamazon!)

Then I got the Kipon Baveyes Ultra for $150, and it looks pretty darn good on longer focal lengths (including the OM 55mm f1.2), but has a lot of coma and CA in the edges on wider lenses. I wanted to use the superb OM 21mm f2 for astrophotography panoramas, but that killed it. So I decided to see what all the Metabones fuss was about.

I must say, the Metabones clears up the coma and CA problems with my 21, 24, and 35mm fast OM Zuikos! I am impressed!

I'm keeping the Kipon for my longer OMs. It does a great job with the 600mm f6.5, which was pretty soft without a speed booster.

Latest threads

Top Bottom