1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metabones OM to M43 speedbooster

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by kadamnation, Apr 24, 2014.

1. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I was thrilled to see the announcement of the Metabones speedbooster for OM lenses, and I pretty much immediately ordered one.

The booster arrived last week, and I can confirm: it's great! I spent the weekend in NYC, shooting my GX7 mostly on manual with a Speedboosted 50mm/1.8 Zuiko and the VC II light meter--I've "practicing" for my all-manual film rangefinder, as I still haven't quite gotten the hang of metering. In any event, the lens and booster combo performed superbly; the quality of the mount is so much higher than the cheap fotodiox OM adaptor that is been using as to make it feel like a completely different lens, even aside from the focal reduction.

image-3008896923.jpg

image-1258886761.jpg

The adaptor claims a 71% focal length reduction and one extra stop of light, so the 50mm becomes a 71mm after the 2x crop factor. 50–90mm is my favorite focal range, and with this adaptor the lens is sharper than it used to be right from the widest aperture all the way through to f16 (which I've confirmed is about as bright as f11 without the booster): for the first time I've actually been able to get satisfactory results with street photos after finding the right hyper focal distance.

Has anyone else gotten the OM adaptor, or tried the metabones adaptors with lenses for other systems? I've been intrigued by the idea of a speedbooster for a long time, but my only non-native lenses are OM or M mounts so I couldn't use any of the prior ones. If they're all this great, color me seriously impressed!

• Like Like x 5
  2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I have used two. One for the Nikon mount with some of the old Nikon legends, and one for the CY mount using at first some Yashica lenses (cheap, but good) and then some Contax Zeiss lenses (whoa!).

All superlative stuff! I'm a big fan :biggrin: Search on this subforum for 'focal reducer' or 'speedbooster', and you should see some threads. Since the OM Speedbooster is new, noone has started an image thread as yet featuring some of the very highly regarded Zuiko lenses out there. I hope you'll continue this one with some more examples!

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Isn't the 50mm now supposed to be a 35.5mm?

4. kbouk

kbouk Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Greece
    Since you are one of the first with metabones OM adapter please share more photos and observations with every OM lens you have, especially in the wide aperture values where the lenses suffer most from light fussiness , a sharpness compare at f=1.8 -2.8 with and without metabones on your OM 50/1.8 will be very useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Yup - but I think you read a little fast :biggrin:

" 50mm becomes a 71mm after the 2x crop factor"

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, I had a brain fart in that respect.

7. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Cool! I was going to order one too, but the shipping costs killed the deal..
    I'm waiting for Adorama to carry it!

Please post more photos!!

8. Eugg

Eugg Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2014
    thanks, please more photos!
    as I understand IQ is not getting worst?

can be used with native lenses, e.g. Panasonic 20mm? if so it becomes 28mm?

9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    • Like Like x 1