Metabones OM Speedbooster Adaptor Is Now In Stock

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MajorMagee, May 30, 2014.

1. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rendition

rendition Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    you forgot 2x crop factor of m43 into account because this len is "Olympus OM to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster ".

50 x 2 x 0.71 = 71mm

it increases one stop of light so it's f/1 on paper but if you are compared to full frame field of view, it still be f/1.4 (original field of view is 100mm f/2, increasing one stop of light is going back to 1.4)

so yeah, the len would be become 71mm f/1.4 portrait len full frame field of view. essentially your m4/3 camera would become ASP-C-ish camera with faster aperture.

With that being say, the 50mm len become a great portrait len for cheap

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Rendition, I think MajorMagee knows all that you wrote, he is purely talking about the lens. Its like talking about the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 - you don't talk about the x2 crop factor, or the depth of field, all that is implied :)

Good news on the OM... can't wait for the Konica :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. rendition

rendition Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    sure :smile: sorry if i went off-track on previous post, there's not much activity on this sub-forum.

anyway, i'm just wondering if anyone is willing to do len sharpness test of the metabone vs the chinese knockoffs. i'm pretty happy with the chinese nikon version

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Is there a Chinese version out for the OM, or AR legacy lenses yet?

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    The designer of the speedbooster did a test over on dpreview. Discussion on the review on this forum -> https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=60531

I can't find any on a quick search. Which is a little strange. Why not make a product where Metabones have no presence... well until now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    "Original" is still f1.4, and it's a 100 f2.8 equivalent, not f2. And as I understand it, depth of field is tied much more to actual focal length of the lens than solely to aperture, which is why there is that "medium format look" or "full frame look." Basically at short distances the blur will be identical for a 25 1.4 on m4/3 and a 50 2.8 on FF, but the background will steadily show more blur for the FF as the focal lengths increase.

8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Is anything in the works for Konica?

Does the tripod mount come off of the speedbooster?

9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Noone knows. Some, including myself, have emailed Metabones on the issue and gotten a variety of responses. So its a 'maybe'. Not a no. I didn't get any response at all, so maybe they are tired of all the emails :biggrin:

Yes. They even give you the tools to screw it off.

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

The 50mm f/1.4 lens on my old OMG Film Camera gives a 4.35 inch depth of field at 6 ft focus distance.

On the M4/3 bodies it produces a depth of field of only 2.17 inches.

That's the same as a 100mm f/2.8 on the 35mm film camera,

Using the Metabones Speedbooster on a M/4/3 the focal length changes to 35.5, and the speed increase to f/1 and the depth of field calculates out to 3.08 inches, and that's the same as a 71mm f/2 on the 35mm film camera.

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    So I bought one for Father's Day, and I've tried it with three different lenses and it won't even come close to infinity focus (way short). Has anyone else had this problem? They show you how to adjust it http://www.metabones.com/article/of/infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only but claim that is has been precisely set by the factory and you shouldn't have to mess with it. Has anyone else had a problem with this? Did I get a bad copy and should just return it, or do they all need adjusting?

Also there is a small plastic ring that surrounds the lens on the camera side that was initially raised up in one area that eventually popped off revealing the set screw underneath. Because of where the screw is drilled through the side of the mount I can see that this plastic ring could never have lain flat in the groove it's supposed to cover, so I'm not surprised it came off. I'm just happy I didn't lose it inside the camera. I can probably just leave it off, but that's pretty poor engineering for a $400 adapter.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I have two, Nikon G and CY. Never needed adjustment. Looking at both of them, the plastic rings are equally lying flat to the mount surface - no raised area. I think you might have the first bad Speedbooster in terms of QA. I would take pictures (perhaps replace the ring as you found it) and send them to Metabones asking for their advice.

I need to get off my arse and sell my Nikon G... too many lenses issues :frown:

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Any update mate?

14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just returned it.

15. Jaya

Jaya New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2014
    Well today with me also the Nikon Metabones dropt some weight, a little plastic ring.
    Strange building quality for that part of the speedbooster :(