Metabones Nikon to m4/3 speedbooster!

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
For some strange reason, the vignetting that I see on interior shots with DX lenses doesn't seem to be a problem in the field.

Here are a couple of quick shots this morning using my Olympus OM-D and Nikon 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

The first shot is at 24mm (34mm effective focal length), the second at 10mm (14.2mm)

9270328151_9871db593c_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Como Sunrise 4 - s by peterb666, on Flickr

9273115528_a14bdffca0_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Como Sunrise 5 - s by peterb666, on Flickr

Love this little baby

McBob

Mu-43 Regular
Got mine last night, so far it works exactly as I'd hoped. There seemed to be an initial "break in" period where it fit very tight to any camera, but loosened quickly. Also, all of my Sigma lenses needed a little extra torque at first for the mount lock to engage correctly, but now they click in happily. For some reason I'd thought the adapter should decrease minimum focus distances, but at first feel it hasn't... I guess that's not in the physics at play.

Lenses checked so far, with initial observations:
Sigma 50-150/2.8 non-OS - (35-105/2) full coverage throughout the range of a lens that was already a favorite... sharp, parfocal, internal, non-extending, 35-105/2 that doesn't need a lens support... almost worth it for this alone.
Sigma 50-500/4-6.3 - (35-350/2.8-4.5) full-frame lens obviously covers completely; bringing up the speed now makes this an occasional viable indoor/dusk lens.
Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 - (40/2.4) the old macro gets a little more flexibility - needs more analysis, unsure if anything could really make this lens sharper
Nikkor 70-210/4-5.6 - (50-150/2.8-4) Focuses a little closer than my Sigma tele, but not as nice to use and otherwise redundant
SMC Macro-Takumar 100/4, M42-adapted - (70/2.8) fits, works
Vivitar 50/1.7, M42 adapted - (35/1.2) Already a nice little lens albeit with sloppy focus ring, becomes a $5 (ok, well, $434) fast 35.

Also tested a Rexanon 28/2.8 in M42 mount, this one didn't work because the auto-function-engaging pin that protrudes from the back was long enough to interfere with the adapter's iris mechanism. The Vivitar 50/1.7 has such a pin as well, but it's much much shorter and doesn't interfere.

Planning a trip to a local camera store/museum soon to test a whole mess of stuff. We'll see.

jambaj0e

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Lenses checked so far, with initial observations:
Sigma 50-150/2.8 non-OS - (35-105/2) full coverage throughout the range of a lens that was already a favorite... sharp, parfocal, internal, non-extending, 35-105/2 that doesn't need a lens support... almost worth it for this alone.
Sigma 50-500/4-6.3 - (35-350/2.8-4.5) full-frame lens obviously covers completely; bringing up the speed now makes this an occasional viable indoor/dusk lens.
Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 - (40/2.4) the old macro gets a little more flexibility - needs more analysis, unsure if anything could really make this lens sharper
Nikkor 70-210/4-5.6 - (50-150/2.8-4) Focuses a little closer than my Sigma tele, but not as nice to use and otherwise redundant
SMC Macro-Takumar 100/4, M42-adapted - (70/2.8) fits, works
Vivitar 50/1.7, M42 adapted - (35/1.2) Already a nice little lens albeit with sloppy focus ring, becomes a $5 (ok, well, $434) fast 35.

Also tested a Rexanon 28/2.8 in M42 mount, this one didn't work because the auto-function-engaging pin that protrudes from the back was long enough to interfere with the adapter's iris mechanism. The Vivitar 50/1.7 has such a pin as well, but it's much much shorter and doesn't interfere.

Planning a trip to a local camera store/museum soon to test a whole mess of stuff. We'll see.

Thanks for the testings. I believe your math is wrong, though. You should be be multiplying the focal length by 2x, then by .71x. Essentially, you now have a 1.42x lens crop

Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 = 71-213mm f/2.0
Sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 = 71-710mm f/2.8-4.5
Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 = 78mm f/2.5
Nikkor 70-210/4-5.6 = 100-298mm f/2.8-4
SMC Macro-Takumar 100/4 = 142mm f/2.8
Vivitar 50/1.7 = 71mm f/1.2
Rexanon 28 f/2.8 = 40mm f/2

I do have a question about how much brighter each lens become. When I had the Vizilex version, the Nikon lens are only 2/3 f-stop brighter, not a full stop. Is the Speedbooster a full stop brighter compared? Tests confirm this?

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
Thanks for the testings. I believe your math is wrong, though. You should be be multiplying the focal length by 2x, then by .71x. Essentially, you now have a 1.42x lens crop

His math is right. He's quoting the resulting μ43 focal length, you're quoting the FF equivalent. If a person doesn't care about what the FF equivalent is, there's no reason to multiply by two.

jambaj0e

Mu-43 Top Veteran
His math is right. He's quoting the resulting μ43 focal length, you're quoting the FF equivalent. If a person doesn't care about what the FF equivalent is, there's no reason to multiply by two.

I understand, but the FF equivalent makes the math more accurate since he's using FF lenses in the first and multiplying it by two explains the math better.

Otherwise, if someone does the same w/ an APS-C sensor w/o factoring in the APS-C crop, we can't have a direct comparison to a MFT sensor.

McBob

Mu-43 Regular
The adapter is modifying the lens, not the sensor. Different MFT mount cameras have different sensor crops. I'd go batty and bore everyone around me listing FF equivalents of these adapted lenses for AF100 & GH3 (video crop 2x), GH2 (video crop 1.86x, ~2x in other modes), Black Magic Cinema Cam (video crop 2.3x), and Black Magic Pocket Cinema Cam (video crop 3x) if I factored in the sensor every time.

Very very very busy weekend ahead, hoping to test the adapted Sigma 2.8 lens vs. some f2 primes (at f2 and f2.8) with the AF100's spot IRE metering to verify & quantify the boost... but there is definitely a boost.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
I understand, but the FF equivalent makes the math more accurate since he's using FF lenses in the first and multiplying it by two explains the math better.

The Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 is an APS-C lens. But in any case it doesn't explain the math better, it explains it differently...and in a more complicated manner that doesn't contribute much to recognizing which native μ43 lenses these lenses+SB are comparable to in FL.

Otherwise, if someone does the same w/ an APS-C sensor w/o factoring in the APS-C crop, we can't have a direct comparison to a MFT sensor.

Sure we can: the APS-C to μ43 crop is 1.33x for Nikon and 1.25x for Canon. That's a perfectly direct comparison...just like FF, its a completely irrelevant comparison for comparing the speedbooster to native μ43 glass, but its a direct one nonetheless.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
You might want to keep am eye on the LensTurbo. Slightly different optical formula (.74 vs .71), but they have said MD mount expected. Also they are cheaper.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app
Thank you ..
This is the 1st that heard of that brand. Since I didn't have a link I'm googeling it now.

There will be a Canon EOS speedbooster and both the MD and FD can be adapted to EOS. Simply get an adaptor for those and then use the EOS speedbooster.

Ohno,.. it appears you are not too experienced with these mounts.

The lens register distance is shorter than the EOS, so those adapters are for Macro use without infinity focus. There are some that put a simple lens in the adapters but they degrade the image as well as magnify the FL. I think the smallest I ever seen was a 1.3x, so yea, can't really go that rout. I might as well pick up a cheep fifteen dollar screw mount lens to use; it would preform better than those adapters with degrading optics on my lenses.

The only Quality adapters ever developed for those mounts, allowing use on a EOS mount for FD lenses and the Alpha mount for the MD lenses, and maintaining infinity focus, used high quality optics but also was a 2x multiplier....

So ... I gotta wait on the LensTurbo..

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ohno,.. it appears you are not too experienced with these mounts.

The lens register distance is shorter than the EOS, so those adapters are for Macro use without infinity focus. There are some that put a simple lens in the adapters but they degrade the image as well as magnify the FL. I think the smallest I ever seen was a 1.3x, so yea, can't really go that rout. I might as well pick up a cheep fifteen dollar screw mount lens to use; it would preform better than those adapters with degrading optics on my lenses.
The only Quality adapters ever developed for those mounts, allowing use on a EOS mount for FD lenses and the Alpha mount for the MD lenses, and maintaining infinity focus, used high quality optics but also was a 2x multiplier....

You are right, I don't know much about Canon or Minolta mounts. Sorry about that. I just knew I had seen adaptors listed for MD to EOS and FD to EOS but never paid them any attention since I don't use them.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey

That's not entirely accurate. A mount swap is a fairly easy alternative.

I have a Canon FDn 85mm f/1.2 that I quite easily converted to EF mount using an EdMika Kit. I'm looking forward to using with an EF speedboster. This gentleman is already using the FD 85mm f/1.2 with the NEX version of the speedbooster. Most EF lenses are easily converted with EdMika's mounts.

And there are at least two MD lenses (58mm f/1.4 & f/1.2 that are easily converted (just a couple of screws to change in switching the mount) because of the work of Leitax. While he advertises it only for the 58mm's, in principle, there's no reason why it couldn't work with other MD lenses.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
That's not entirely accurate. A mount swap is a fairly easy alternative..

hahah .. that's pretty funny but I guess I should not laugh too hard at you, many others don't pay much attention to what they read on here before they replying ether.

I sure as heck know all about mount swaps. Even converting a Eos Body to MD mount.
But I would never ever Hack any of my lenses. Least of all to an EOS mount.
We were discussing Adapters however. So, you are wrong; what I said was entirely accurate.
:smile: Don't feel bad tho, if you seen my post history there was one that I made at 3 in the morning where I misspoke as well .. I corrected myself later tho.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
hahah .. that's pretty funny but I guess I should not laugh too hard at you, many others don't pay much attention to what they read on here before they replying ether.

I sure as heck know all about mount swaps. Even converting a Eos Body to MD mount.
But I would never ever Hack any of my lenses. Least of all to an EOS mount.
We were discussing Adapters however. So, you are wrong; what I said was entirely accurate.
:smile: Don't feel bad tho, if you seen my post history there was one that I made at 3 in the morning where I misspoke as well .. I corrected myself later tho.

:confused:
Why would I feel bad...? Who said anything about hacking? All of the conversions I've done have been completely non-destructive. If I wanted to, I could change my 85mm f/1.2 back to FDn without any loose of functionality or damage to the lens. There's no 'hack' required.

As to my being wrong, well, that's little more than semantics. As long as the swap is non destructive, the new mount is an adapter, i.e. something that adapts the lens so you can use it on another camera. The fact that a couple screws are involved doesn't change that--if you search Amazon for Leica R/Nikon F adapters, you'll see that the adapter is a mount swap. If you don't like that definition, that's fine. I've got no problem with that. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a perfectly reasonable definition to use. In this case, being 'wrong' is only a matter of perspective. And there are plenty of people who don't share your definition.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara

Or the Alpa mount SpeedBooster which can take pretty much any 35mm lens mount with the appropriate adapter.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Or the Alpa mount SpeedBooster which can take pretty much any 35mm lens mount with the appropriate adapter.

He is right! The Alpa mount{37.8mm registration} is shorter than almost anything else. Even Konica Hexanon lenses{40.5mm registration} can be adapted to this one. Canon FD has a registration of 42mm and MD is 43.72mm. Finding the correct adaptor is going to be the hard part!

Camera Mounts Sorted by Register

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
:confused:
Why would I feel bad...? Who said anything about hacking? All of the conversions I've done have been completely non-destructive. If I wanted to, I could change my 85mm f/1.2 back to FDn without any loose of functionality or damage to the lens. There's no 'hack' required.

As to my being wrong, well, that's little more than semantics. As long as the swap is non destructive, the new mount is an adapter, i.e. something that adapts the lens so you can use it on another camera. The fact that a couple screws are involved doesn't change that--if you search Amazon for Leica R/Nikon F adapters, you'll see that the adapter is a mount swap. If you don't like that definition, that's fine. I've got no problem with that. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a perfectly reasonable definition to use. In this case, being 'wrong' is only a matter of perspective. And there are plenty of people who don't share your definition.

Why do you think a hack means to be physically destructive and something that can no longer be returned to original?
A Hack is when you Physically alter something, By whatever means without the use of an easily removable attachment. TO adapt something is not the same as to use an ADAPTER. So yes that would be a conversion or adaptation, not using an ADAPTER. I am not sure you read everything I wrote earlier, but I mentioned I do know All about conversions. However like the others, and myself have mentioned, here we were talking about ADAPTERS.
I have altered many Lenses to EOS mount for other people. Often I would make a new Mount, but in those cases, Like with a Minolta lens, you cant just Pop it back onto the original film camera and back to your digital with any ease, or without doing any basic mechanical work, especially out in the field. So mentioning how easy it is to screw or unscrew and replace little pieces on the lens is a Moot point when, especially when ... oh never mind, I think anyone else reading should understand by now.

SO to remind you, everything I mentioned before MAubrey's original comment is totally accurate, whether you wish to believe it or not.
Have a great day :thumbup:

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Only because you enjoy playing little games with the meaning of words...

My apology, I honestly did not know using the correct terms was considered playing games. I am very sorry for that.
Thank you for pointing that out to me; i won't let it happen again.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On a related note there is a good review of the Mitacon Lens Turbo on Nikon Rumors.
Nikon F-Mount to NEX Lens Turbo focal reducer adapter: Impressions & Samples (guest post) | Nikon Rumors

The NEX version is the only one out right now but they are suppose to release m4/3 versions in the near future. The Lens Turbo is much cheaper than the Speedbooster and has a slightly different factor of .72x.

They have versions for the following mounts -
Nikon F
Pentax K
Canon FD
Canon EOS EF / EF-S
Minolta MD/MC
M42
Contax C/Y
Leica R
Sony/Minolta Aplha

Latest threads

Top Bottom