1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metabones Nikon to m4/3 speedbooster!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Jul 4, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is now available! :dance3:

Micro 4/3 System : Nikon G to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster

This version{perhaps it will be the only one they make} works with both old and new Nikon F mount lenses. They call it a "G" because it will work with G type Nikkor lenses that do not have an external aperture ring. However it will work with all older lenses as well including the very first ones from 1959.

The exception is listed on their site, the 20mm/2.8 AI-S. Not sure why this one won't work, my guess is that the rear element sticks back too far. If this is true there are a few other lenses that also won't work as they required mirror lock-up to be used{the rare 6mm and 10mm fisheyes}. I think there were a few 3rd party fisheyes that also required mirror lock-up too.

It is a bit pricey but Metabones will have the quality that the Chinese knock-offs don't. The Vizelex light cannon has already shown how bad Chinese copies can be.

My birthday is later this month, maybe this is what I will get!:biggrin:

2. dlinn

dlinn New to Mu-43

May 3, 2013
    I'm definitely looking forward to impressions/pics. Who's got one?

3. speedandstyle

There isn't much out there right now and nothing for this Nikon to m4/3. The reviews for the Canon EF to NEX are generally favorable. A few things that have been found are some vignetting issues with certain lenses and stretching of bokeh at the edges. Keep in mind that is on an APS sensor so it shouldn't be as big a deal on m4/3.

First Impressions: Metabones Speed Booster: Digital Photography Review

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Too rich for my blood. Hope they can make a cheaper version without aperture control.

5. speedandstyle

I am kind of with you on that. Although I have a couple of G lenses they wouldn't be all that great adapted. However I have many older Nikkor and 3rd party F mount lenses that I would love to use. If they do make one it will be $399 based on what the Leica to m4/3 speedbooster costs.

6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Thanks for mentioning this, speedandstyle :))
    I just ordered one, I think the price is OK if you own some Nikkor glass worth adapting ...

My lens collection was just enlarged with a Nikkor IF-ED 213/f2 and a Zoom-Nikkor 57-142/f2 :biggrin::biggrin:
    If you know the price and the availability of the 200/f2, then the price of the Speedbooster is an absolute bargain !

C U
    Rafael

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It looked very appealing until I remembered how much I dislike focusing manually. Much as I miss the shallow DoF of a 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 on full-frame, jumping back 30 years in technology to get it is not an option.

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    You make a great point. Look forward to some sample pics!

9. speedandstyle

You are welcome!

213mm? 57-142mm? Not familiar with these lenses! Are you using the converted focal lengths? A 300mm and an 80-200mm with the speedbooster's .7x conversion?

10. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Indeed ! I will be just carrying a small and light Speedbooster, and it's worth two extra lenses :biggrin::biggrin:

I'll post some pics when it arrives, hopefully before I leave for holidays !

BTW, there will also be a 37/f1.0, a 26/f1.4, a 18/f1.4 ....
    All from one Speedbooster ...

C U,
    Rafael

11. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Just ordered my Metabones Nikon G to MFT - looking forward to trying it out with my Nikon lenses.

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I also know the size and weight of your Nikkor IF-ED 213/f2, given that it's a 300mm f2.8 plus an adapter. Not exactly begging to be hand-held.

in any case, I'd rather sacrifice a bit over one stop with the Vivitar Series One 200mm f3 that I just picked up in mint condition for $47 - It also weighs 4 pounds less than your lens.

13. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

I own two other 200mm lenses (Nikkor Micro 200/4 IF-ED and a lesser third party lens) but I will happily carry this combination around (with a heavy Berlebach tripod as an little extra) from time to time :)))

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I also own that 300mm lens - and given it's size and weight, I can't imagine wanting to make it 1 stop faster and 45% shorter, when there are perfectly good 200mm lenses out there that are a fraction of it's size and weight. If anything, I am likely to want to put a 1.4x or 2x converter on it to extend it's reach, not do the reverse.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    At 600mm EFL, that 300/2.8 on m4/3 is pretty long. The 400mm EFL one gets with the Speed Booster is a lot more manageable, and I daresay for anything other than birds, a lot more useful.

16. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    And you can also carry a straight Nikon to m4/3 adapter (not to mention the 1.4x and 2.0x multiplier!) to give you both possibilities with minimal extra weight and trouble.

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, I pretty much use it for birds and other distant wildlife. Other than that, I'd NEVER carry it anywhere, as it weighs in at 6 pounds.

And in any case, And EFL 400mm that weighs 1.5 pounds rather than 6 pounds is much more useful yet for pretty much anything OTHER than birds and wildlife.

18. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    Sooooooooo many interesting possibilities... trying to verify with Metabones now if (as they hinted earlier) DX lenses would cover the m43 sensor. Some possibilities I'm eyeing:

- Tokina "8-12/f2"
    - Nikon "7-17/2.4-3.5"
    - Tamron "12-35/2"
    - Sigma "35-105/2"
    - Nikkor "13-213/2.4-4"

...not to mention what it might do with a set of already fast & good Rokinon primes

19. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I too keep forgetting this... :frown:

20. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I'd expect that they will. Some will vignette more than they normally do. With others, you won't really notice a difference. For example, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 shouldn't be a problem at all, considering many people already use it on FF. Its image circle is large enough.