1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metabones & Kippon Adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mach330, Apr 26, 2011.

1. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    Anyone have experience on both? i recently got the metabones for my contax g and focus is pretty rough. it's very clicky and certain parts are more clicky. it's not as smooth as my canon fd for example where the focus is on the lens itself. It's quite smooth. Are Kippon smoother? I really like this lens, but the focusing problems I have is making me go back to my canon fd.

edit: saw this on another post. is this smoother? anyone try this?

http://contaxgm43.wordpress.com/

2. I have one of each, and I way prefer using the Metabones, even though the Kipon is much nicer looking. The Metabones gives you a much better grip region to focus the lens.

The roughness is due to screw focus system on the lens itself. Remember, the G lenses were never designed to be manually focused, but rather to be driven by a motorized screw. As a result, they were never optimized for "feel" like other legacy lenses.

On the other hand, they're beautiful lenses. I really like the pix I get with my 45, which I've had for about six months, and am considering bidding for a 90. Once I got used to the roughness of the focus process, I stopped noticing it. It's just another indiosyncrasy of a unique lens.

As an aside, the first Metabones wouldn't mount the lens. It took me weeks to convince the seller (who advertised here) to take it back, including posting a video clip to YouTube. Eventually he did, and the replacement works fine. During the interim, I bought the Kipon. I haven't used it since my (working) Metabones arrived.

3. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    ^^^ thx.

is there only one way to screw the adapter on? i basically keep twisting until it goes in right. i guess i'll work on the clickiness . good to know.