1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metabones c-mount adaptor problem

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Superlemmon, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Superlemmon

Superlemmon New to Mu-43

Jul 3, 2011
    Ordered a metabones c-mount to m4/3 adaptor. The fit to my GH-1 is so tight i have problems to remove it again.

A quick search on google reveals that others have had the same problem:
    Alert! Metabones c-mount adapter gets stuck in AF100 mount [Archive] - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Sendt an email to metabones about the problem. In the answer they claim that users with old micro4/3 cameras have complained about loose fits to their cameras, so metabones make their adapters fit tighter.

A bad excuse in my opinion. I have had no problems fitting far cheaper adaptors. Also m4/3 is such a new system i don`t think bayonet wear is a problem.

I think it is likely that the metabones adaptor has been machined from brass to the right tolerances and nickel plated afterwards. Nickel plating will add material to the surface that makes the adpter too tight.

Just wanted to post this as a warning for you out there looking for a c-mount adaptor.

Metabones is marketing themselves as a high quality brand, clearly in an effort to distance themselves from the cheaper no-name adaptors.

I tried to make the adaptor fit better by adjusting the tolerances with a metal file. There are however still parts of the GH-1 bayonet that grind into the adaptor. My conclusion is that i am not risking to put it onto my camera, because of possible bayonet wear/damage. This may also cause nickel or brass dust to enter the camera/sensor. No good.

Would be interresting to hear others experiences with the metabones C-mount adaptor.

Rob

2. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    My Metabones c-mount adapter was too tight to fit on an e-P2. Lasjas (the Metabones guy) e-mailed me clear instructions on how to fix it. In fact it was pretty obvious where the high spots were, and it took just a few minutes with a very fine file to remove them, and then a bit of a polish with very fine emery cloth. I did the fix in stages so as to not remove too much, and washed/dried the adapter thoroughly before trying the fit. All in all it was not a painful experience at all.

3. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

sparkin:

Could you post the instructions? I'd be very interested to see how much work was actually required. Thanks!