1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Metabones AutoFocus with Canon EF Zoom...Wow!!!!!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pcovers, Oct 15, 2015.

1. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    I have been on a quest to find a better than just acceptable smart mount to use on my Canon EF 70-300mm L IS USM lens. I use an Olympus E-M5 Mk II (love the camera).
    • Commlite Smart E Adaptor - I knew it had no autofocus, but was willing to give it a try for it's low price. Marginal performance on transmitting EXIF data. Lagged significantly in transferring focal length number trougout the zoom range. Shutter had a 3 second lag click to click. Was interesting, but not acceptable on any sort of outing.
    • Jumped up the scale and ordered a Kipon smart with AutoFocus. Arrived with contacts on the lens side and no contacts on the camera side. WTF! Returned without any interest in them sending me a replacement that might have contacts on both sides
    • Finally bit the bullet and ordered the $390 Metabones Smart Adaptor without Speedbooster. I had to do the firmware upgrade when it arrived, quick and painless, but you need a USB to micro USB cable to do it. Wow!!! Auto focus as fast as my native Olympus M43 lenses. Transmits focal length real time just like native lenses. Saves all the accurate EXIF data, including the fact that it is a Canon 70-300 L lens. I like the 5 axis stabilization in my Oly, but the IS in the Canon lens is better to use, at least for this zoom length. Excellent in lens stabilization out at 300mm.
    Wow, again! I paid $850 for a pristine EF 70-300mm L IS lens. It is a magnificent lens. The IS is superb. Now, with the Metabones Auto Focus smart adapter, the Canon lens runs like a native M43 lens. This definitely is a game changer with me over what I consider available lenses for my Olympus E-M5 Mk II camera. I cannot say enough about how quickly and accurately the auto focus works on this combination.

Cost of the combo is right at $1250 for an L series quality 70-300mm setup with my OM-D camera. Any future Canon EF lens would not require the added cost of the adapter, so it puts exceptional quality glass, weather sealed, as a realistic competitor to native Oly M43 lenses. Size is a reason we often choose M43 cameras, but I had the 50-150mm Pro Olympus and it was every bit as long as the Canon 70-300. Everything is a give and take.

I really expected to be left fully unsatisfied at the end of my trials. However I could not be more pleased with the Metabones performance, sitting between my EF L lens and my E-M5 Mk II camera.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Any shots to show, please?

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Thanks for the post - very informative
    Do they do similar adapters for other lenses ie Nikon etc ?
    Rob

4. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, I believe they also have a Nikon version.

5. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    Nothing special, just was a testing outing. Bird and gator were at 300mm and about 75 yards away. All three hand held.

Attached Files:

6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks you for the report as I am seriously considering the Metabones with and without the speedbooster along with the Canon 200/2 and 400/2.8. I want the speedbooster so I could have an effective 150/1.4 (using the 200) and 600/2.0 (using the 400) as well as the 400/2 and 800/2.8. I quoted the above because I do not believe the Metabones is weather sealed so you would have to worry about water leaking between the Metabones and the camera.

7. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    Well, it is certainly doable. That 400mm 2.8 is a little over 11 pounds - that is one heavy lens. Price used is around $5000. It is an unbeatable lens, to be sure.

8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Is it just me or does this smell a bit? The first ever post for this user is about promoting an adapter for m4/3. I'm feeling a bit sceptical about this...:cautious:

EDIT: Well... The user did register a couple of months ago so maybe it's not all about selling the product after all.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It's quite simple to prove: Upload some videos of a native m43 lens doing an AF test with subjects placed throughout the focal range, and then do the same thing with the MB AF adapter.

Let us see the results that the OP praises, so that we too can drink the kool-aid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I really wonder if these metabones are compatible with ef-s. If anyone knows, I would appreciate input.

11. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    Metabones web site says that the following EFS lenses are supported for AutoFocus with the adapter I purchased:

(http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2)

Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II

• Like Like x 1
  12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm a bit confused that the website states that the adapter with AF is compatible with Panasonic cameras (and it seems to imply that there is a lack of compatibility with Olympus cameras....at least in some regards).

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    What confuses me is why some lenses of ef-s series are stated as compatible while others are not. Does that mean are not compatible or just not tested? Anyway, thank you for your input!

14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    That's because there is (or at least was). Metabones couldn't get AF to work with IBIS, but I read over on DPR that FW 1.8 is out for the MB adapaters, and it allows AF with the E-M1 (and possibly other Olympus cameras, but I'm not certain of that).

15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Yes it is a bit heavy but long reach and fast can not come any other way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    They do not seem to have updated their website. They issued a new firmware that has the adapter working very well on the EM1.

17. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    You're not going to be sleeping nights now, are you?

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Nope. Have to get two additional jobs so I can buy a $10k lens and it's $5k little brother the 200/2

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    it does not seem from their website that this smart adapter is available for any lenses other than canon. is that correct, or am i missing something?

20. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Nope, so far only Canon.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1