Messing with the Dramatic Tone filter

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by goldenlight, Apr 29, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    One of the first shoots I did with my E-P3 seemed a good opportunity to try the Dramatic Tone filter, which I had never had on a camera before. I'm still not sure if I like it and feel that it would certainly be easy to overuse it. No longer an issue for as I recently sold the E-P3 and reverted to an E-PL1. What do you think?

Dramatic Tone filter
    FAMBRIDGE_MAYLAND_059_e_c_r_s_2.jpg

Dramatic Tone filer, converted to B&W
    PASSING_STORM_FAMBRIDGE_e_c_r_s.jpg

Without filter
    FAMBRIDGE_MAYLAND_097_e_r_s.jpg

Dramatic Tone filter
    FAMBRIDGE_MAYLAND_095_e_r_s.jpg

Dramatic Tone filter, converted to B&W
    FAMBRIDGE_MAYLAND_095_e_B_W_r_s.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I love the dramatic tone filter. I treat it like a good bottle of liquor. Just a little bit every once in awhile. SOmetimes when they turn out to gritty, I overlay an untreated same shot over it at 50% opacity.

People put down the art filters, but they are just another form of processing.

• Like Like x 4
  3. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That's a great tip, thanks. :thumbup:

4. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    I'll have to try that overlay trick as well. Sounds useful. I used the dramatic tone alot the other day because all of my sunlight disappeared.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    When I first got my EP3 I tried and liked the Dramatic Tone filter a lot.. but after a few days, it kinda wore out on me.. I still use it, but rarely.. but it has it uses.. now if I want that effect, I process in Efex Pro..
    Doug

6. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Yes, art filters aren't unique - they can all be replicated in pp software and with more control. However, they do provide a quick and convenient in-camera package but, as you say, they do need to be used sparingly once the novelty has worn off.

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Agree with everyone else that Dramatic Filter is amazing but can easily be overused. I generally include one "Dramatic" filter with any set that I put on facebook after a trip, though, and my friend invariably "like" that one twice as much as any other. (Which may say more about my PP ability than the filter itself.)

I have been using it for an extended project, and I like that by using the filter in camera I a)am sure that every photo is getting the exact same treatment and b) I have it in-camera to consider while composing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I can see them as a quick and dirty solution, but for landscape type shots like those above they add a lot of distracting grain and banding in the cloud areas in particular. This can be controlled in post to a far greater degree - one of my toughest post-processing challenges was getting a panorama shot in Antarctica (seascape, lots of ice) that had come out underexposed by about 2/3s of a stop. Light wasn't ideal either, so needed/wanted to kick contrast. All of this, even with 5DII RAW files, meant quite a bit of potential for noise. Best solution for me was a combination of DxO Optic Pro (for the initial RAW conversion, cleanup and most adjustment) followed by stitching followed by a combination of Nik Software plugins in photoshop (although I could have done almost exactly the same with masks, Nik's local control stuff makes it easy).

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The dynamic tone filter to me, seems to work best on cloudy days.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've been toying with it...
    OLY30192_small.jpg

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah the dramatic tone works well for grey days, particularly where there's a splash of colour that you want to stand out.

12. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    +1 ... I use it sometimes on grey days to make things pop some..

13. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I think it's a useful tool to have in the box but it does need using sparingly and with care. I've recently changed from an E-P3 back to an E-PL1 and the dramatic tone filter is one of the features I will miss the least.