1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Messing with the Dramatic Tone filter

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by goldenlight, Apr 29, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    One of the first shoots I did with my E-P3 seemed a good opportunity to try the Dramatic Tone filter, which I had never had on a camera before. I'm still not sure if I like it and feel that it would certainly be easy to overuse it. No longer an issue for as I recently sold the E-P3 and reverted to an E-PL1. What do you think?

Dramatic Tone filter
    FAMBRIDGE_MAYLAND_059_e_c_r_s_2.

Dramatic Tone filer, converted to B&W
    PASSING_STORM_FAMBRIDGE_e_c_r_s.

Without filter
    FAMBRIDGE_MAYLAND_097_e_r_s.

Dramatic Tone filter
    FAMBRIDGE_MAYLAND_095_e_r_s.

Dramatic Tone filter, converted to B&W
    FAMBRIDGE_MAYLAND_095_e_B_W_r_s.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I love the dramatic tone filter. I treat it like a good bottle of liquor. Just a little bit every once in awhile. SOmetimes when they turn out to gritty, I overlay an untreated same shot over it at 50% opacity.

People put down the art filters, but they are just another form of processing.

• Like Like x 4
  3. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That's a great tip, thanks. :thumbup:

4. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    I'll have to try that overlay trick as well. Sounds useful. I used the dramatic tone alot the other day because all of my sunlight disappeared.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    When I first got my EP3 I tried and liked the Dramatic Tone filter a lot.. but after a few days, it kinda wore out on me.. I still use it, but rarely.. but it has it uses.. now if I want that effect, I process in Efex Pro..
    Doug

6. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Yes, art filters aren't unique - they can all be replicated in pp software and with more control. However, they do provide a quick and convenient in-camera package but, as you say, they do need to be used sparingly once the novelty has worn off.

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Agree with everyone else that Dramatic Filter is amazing but can easily be overused. I generally include one "Dramatic" filter with any set that I put on facebook after a trip, though, and my friend invariably "like" that one twice as much as any other. (Which may say more about my PP ability than the filter itself.)

I have been using it for an extended project, and I like that by using the filter in camera I a)am sure that every photo is getting the exact same treatment and b) I have it in-camera to consider while composing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I can see them as a quick and dirty solution, but for landscape type shots like those above they add a lot of distracting grain and banding in the cloud areas in particular. This can be controlled in post to a far greater degree - one of my toughest post-processing challenges was getting a panorama shot in Antarctica (seascape, lots of ice) that had come out underexposed by about 2/3s of a stop. Light wasn't ideal either, so needed/wanted to kick contrast. All of this, even with 5DII RAW files, meant quite a bit of potential for noise. Best solution for me was a combination of DxO Optic Pro (for the initial RAW conversion, cleanup and most adjustment) followed by stitching followed by a combination of Nik Software plugins in photoshop (although I could have done almost exactly the same with masks, Nik's local control stuff makes it easy).

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The dynamic tone filter to me, seems to work best on cloudy days.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've been toying with it...
    OLY30192_small.

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah the dramatic tone works well for grey days, particularly where there's a splash of colour that you want to stand out.

12. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    +1 ... I use it sometimes on grey days to make things pop some..

13. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I think it's a useful tool to have in the box but it does need using sparingly and with care. I've recently changed from an E-P3 back to an E-PL1 and the dramatic tone filter is one of the features I will miss the least.