Messenger style bag for GH3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Recommendations? I have a bad back and need to carry a minimum amount of equipment, ie body + 3 lenses max.
  2. Domke!

Not exactly pure messenger style like a Timbuk2 Snoop. Domke F-5XB or XC depending on size of lens.

The empty bags are relatively light compared to others that have similar capacity. Minimum padding reduces bulk,stiffness and mass. Canvas or nylon(J-5 line), durable and comfortable to lug around.

Have you checked out the "Bags and more bags" thread?
    Another Domke option is the F10. Check out Nick's F10 Ruggedware review. Bit more styled like a "messenger" bag.
  3. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Carol Stream, IL
    I am using a Tamrac's Rally 4 for a GH2 and three lenses, or four if one is the little 20mm. Works well.
  4. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Check out the Lowepro Event Messenger 100 or 150.
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Another option is picking up a messenger bag insert and using it with a messenger bag not specifically designed for camera gear. You just need to make sure the measurements match up.
  6. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    Take a look at the Crumpler Million dollar home series. Probably a 4 or 5 would be about the right size. I have a 6 and it holds my whole kit (2 bodies, 7 lenses plus accessories).
  7. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    From what i've read in other threads the ungripped GH3 is smaller than a full gripped EM5. For my fully gripped EM5 I use Chrome's Niko bag, which can also fit three additional lenses in the main compartment. You can easily fit a forth lens in the main compartment if you had an additional divider.

The Niko also has a top section that can accommodate at least two additional lenses, I keep my table tri pod in the top section as I don't bring more than three lenses with me.

I love my Niko, but I'm baised as Chrome is an SF based company. The best feature IMO about the Niko (and all chrome messenger bags) is the seat / safety belt buckle. I always disconnect the sling strap, rather than lifting it over / around my head, to avoid accidently knocking off my glasses.
  8. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Lowepro Exchange Messanger
    E-M5 with grip and 60mm, 2 more lenses and still enough room for a 100-300
    Love the price-~$30 and doesn't look like a camera bag
  9. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    Check out the Tenba messenger series. The mini or the small are quite lightweight and rugged. I like that you do not have to open the bag by the buckles, as in a traditional messenger, but that you have the option to go in through the top.

Messenger Bags: Mini Photo/Laptop Bags by Tenba
  10. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
  11. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I like these Thinktank Retrospective bags. The 5 is the smallest and would fit the GH3 and 3 lenses although my choice would be the 7 as it is slightly larger and capable of carrying an ipad
    Retrospective 5 (Pinestone)