Messenger bag recommendation

afg08

Mu-43 Regular
I am looking for a bag that I can fit inside a backpack. 12 inches wide max and I'd prefer if was a bit less and probably around 5 inches deep. Something that would hold a body with lens attached plus room for 2 more. I'm thinking a messenger style might work, something where the top flap is held by Velcro, not a zipper as it seems I am always fumbling to get at my gear. I'm currently using an inexpensive Lowepro Rezo 170 which is just barely big enough but does work okay. Around $75, any thoughts? Thanks for any recommendations.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Lots of options. Check out the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i. Should be under budget. Has nice magnetic closures that are easy to open but still secure, without the noise of Velcro. I have the 20 and find it to be a very good bag.

Raptor7

Mu-43 Regular
I have an old Crumpler that I carry usually in a backpack. I don´t remember the model name, but I will check it as soon as I come back home tomorrow.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Lots of options. Check out the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i. Should be under budget. Has nice magnetic closures that are easy to open but still secure, without the noise of Velcro. I have the 20 and find it to be a very good bag.
The 30i has a different opening system; I have both the MM20 and MM30i. The MM20 opens from the front (away from your body). I don't like that style as much because it makes your equipment more vulnerable to falling out or pilferage in a crowd when used with a waist belt or shoved toward your back when using a shoulder strap. The MM30i unzips along the back so someone has to place their hands against your torso to open it. The MM30i also doesn't tend to tip or dump your gear when open and picked up by the handle - it's a great daily bag and holds my 40-150 Pro with TC.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The 30i has a different opening system; I have both the MM20 and MM30i. The MM20 opens from the front (away from your body). I don't like that style as much because it makes your equipment more vulnerable to falling out or pilferage in a crowd when used with a waist belt or shoved toward your back when using a shoulder strap. The MM30i unzips along the back so someone has to place their hands against your torso to open it. The MM30i also doesn't tend to tip or dump your gear when open and picked up by the handle - it's a great daily bag and holds my 40-150 Pro with TC.

Thanks - I assumed they were the same!

When I plan to shoot a lot I carry the MM20 with the zipper only slightly closed, and let let the magnets hold the flap down. Works well, and is very easy to access gear quickly. I only ever zip it up completely if I am going to mostly just be carrying it for a while, or if it's dusty or wet.

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
I am looking for a bag that I can fit inside a backpack. 12 inches wide max and I'd prefer if was a bit less and probably around 5 inches deep. Something that would hold a body with lens attached plus room for 2 more. I'm thinking a messenger style might work, something where the top flap is held by Velcro, not a zipper as it seems I am always fumbling to get at my gear. I'm currently using an inexpensive Lowepro Rezo 170 which is just barely big enough but does work okay. Around $75, any thoughts? Thanks for any recommendations.
B&H has the Tamarac Aria 2 on sale today for $10. That would probably work.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
B&H has the Tamarac Aria 2 on sale today for $10. That would probably work.
Another suggestion might be a Tenba BYOB insert with their Packlite bags. The BYOB 9 would probably meet your needs and lists for $40. The Packlite 9 is another $20. That way you can use only the insert for your backpack, but have a shoulder/messenger style option if you need. The insert top is zippered, but you can leave it open when inside the backpack.

Real Name
Walter
I bought a Tenba DNA 8 bag to do exactly that. The DNA 8 fits on its own inside a good-size backpack, or one can use just the padded insert. I also have a larger BBP padded insert that also fits a mid-sized backpack. The Tenba BYOB inserts are perfect for that too.

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I own several messenger bags in the size you're looking for. My current fave is the Kata Nimble. It has room for my E-PL7 with 12-40 zoom, a prime lens, a compact 1" sensor camera, a small collapsible umbrella (it rains occasionally in Vancouver), gloves, food, spare batteries and memory cards, a few other accessories, and if I have a need, my iPad. Plus I can fit a decent size water bottle in the outside stretchy pocket. And to top it off, it doesn't look like a camera bag.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Do you really need the bulky side padding that a "camera bag" provides? There is a whole world of "tactical" bags that work very well for cameras. Samples: Messenger Bags Another source: Gear Bags, Tactical Bags, Bags & Organizers I usually add some bottom padding, either 3/8" closed cell polyurethane foam or, more recently, a piece cut from foam floor tiles like these: Norsk-Stor Multi-Purpose 24 in. x 24 in. Interlocking Multi-Color Foam Flooring Recyclamat (4-Pieces)-240147 - The Home Depot

Condor is an inexpensive brand that is decent. LAPoliceGear has some house branded bags that I think are probably made by Condor. 511 is good. Maxpedition is good quality but tend to be heavy and stiff as well as expensive. If you have a store in your area that caters to the paintball crowd, you can probably see some samples there.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I own several messenger bags in the size you're looking for. My current fave is the Kata Nimble. It has room for my E-PL7 with 12-40 zoom, a prime lens, a compact 1" sensor camera, a small collapsible umbrella (it rains occasionally in Vancouver), gloves, food, spare batteries and memory cards, a few other accessories, and if I have a need, my iPad. Plus I can fit a decent size water bottle in the outside stretchy pocket. And to top it off, it doesn't look like a camera bag.

Did Manfrotto keep this model after acquisition?

--Ken

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Did Manfrotto keep this model after acquisition?

Ha! I didn't realize that Kata was bought out. It looks like the bag is listed as "no longer available" at B&H, Amazon and elsewhere. Too bad, as it's a great bag. It may be possible to find some leftover stock somewhere. I bought mine on sale for something like $40, but I see that there's only one on eBay and the seller wants $55 + $10 shipping.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Ha! I didn't realize that Kata was bought out. It looks like the bag is listed as "no longer available" at B&H, Amazon and elsewhere. Too bad, as it's a great bag. It may be possible to find some leftover stock somewhere. I bought mine on sale for something like $40, but I see that there's only one on eBay and the seller wants $55 + $10 shipping.

It did look nice, but I am in no immediate need for another bag. But thanks for checking.

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom