messenger bag for gx7 and a few lenses.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by my06wagon, Feb 13, 2015.

1. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    Hi guys and gals.

I currently have a thinktank retrospective 10 and finding it overall too big. Not so much the width but the thickness of it. i dont mind the styling but on my last trip it was a pain in the butt to carry all day. So i am after a new bag which isnt so think and easy to carry camera gear and a few other items while on holiday.

I have the following items

Gx7,PL25 f1.4,PL15 f1.7,75mm f1.8 the 45 f1.8 and the 20mm f1.7. and a about 2 or 3 filters.

I am pretty much after something i can travel with while on holiday.

It is hard where i live to see the bags in person so i have to pretty much look online. I thought of the retrospective 5 but not sure weather i would get that in. I would think the ona bowery is too small. The prince street seems ok but not enough pockets.

tamrac apache 4 is another option. The billingham hadley pro seems to get that in but im not sure on the styling. Too posh for me.

Any other options

Basically i am after a bag to carry my gear on travel as well as other stuff such as pens,phone etc.

2. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
  3. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
  4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    If that's all you are carrying, a small bag like a Domke F5XB or a little bigger Domke F10, The Thinktank Retrospective 5 would be another good choice too. Use a couple of dividers to create 3 sections, have the GX7 with the PL25 mounted in the center section, the 75mm f1.8 in one of the side section, get a couple of M43 rear lens caps (JJC ones will do) glue the two backs together so you can have the 20mm at one end and the 45mm at the other and that can go in the other section. the filters can go in the other little pockets that these bag have.

5. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    I have been using the retrospective 5 for about 2 years now and it has proven to be a great travel kit. I started with EP3, pany 25, oly 12, oly 45 and pana 45-200. I then moved to em5 with the oly 12-40 on body as primary and then the oly 75, Rok 7.5, pan 45-200 in the bag. I use cut down Koozies to warp & pad the lens. in the pockets i have the EM5 flash, battery case, rain cover, polarizing filter and the DCR-150 Macro lens. My only problem now is that i got the oly 40-150 Pro (mini beast) and need to get another bag - probably the 7 so it will sit flat vs standing.
    Frank

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'll back the Think Tank Retrospective series as well. Got on in December of 2014 and it has been with me every day. I opted for the 10, as I sometimes want to carry my Nikon Df with lens attached and a couple extra primes.

A 5 or 7 series should be great for what you are looking for.

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Go to the bags, bags, and more bags thread. Everything you need to know is in that thread.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    Ok i have settled for a billingham hadley all in black i think the other colours seem posh for my taste. What size would i go for small or pro

9. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    the Hadley Small.
    Take a look on youtube on both those bags, you'll get an idea of what size they are.
    The Hadley Pro is similar in size to your TT Retro 10.

10. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    If you're looking for the Hadley small I posted this video last year I no longer have the bag. Found it a little small for my needs. Thinking of getting the Hadley Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pwlC7odJk4

11. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
  12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Good choice I love my pro, to give you an idea I can carry 3 bodies with lens attached plus another 2-3 smaller lenses. Though I normally carry 2 cameras with lens on and a spare lens or two, using the space for other bits and bobs I carry around. With your list I think you should fit it all in the small.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If it's not to late I can tell you the 5 would work. One trick to make it easier. Buy 4 lens caps, glue them end to end (2 sets of 2) so you create 2 rigid lens pairs, works great. Camera in the center, one pair on each end. I have my Sigma 30 & 60 set this way. It also makes changing between them and my 14mm fast and easy.

14. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Their stuff is great , too bad overseas shipping is so expensive.

15. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    In my Hadley Small I have a Sigma 60mm and an Olympus 25mm on the left; the GX7 with 35-100 f4 in the middle, with extra battery and card underneath (used to be OM-D E-M5) and a GM5 with 12-32 on the right, agaon with extra battery and card underneath (used to be X100).

In the front pockets are lens pen, microcloths, table-top tripod, MobileLite, other odds and ends, still not letting out the pockets to full size. And behind the insert a 10" tablet.

Whole thing still very light and easy to carry.

I have a Hadley Digital if I just take one body and two lenses.

16. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    Thanks for the sugguestions. After a long time deciding what i want. I think i have finally found what i am after. The tenba switch 8 or 10. Should fit what i want it too.

17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    The new Tenba Switch bags look really good. Let us know how it works out for you.

18. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I got an Ona Bowery as a gift which I love. Fits EM10 + couple lenses easy with filter pouches in the front.