1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

messenger bag for em5 12-40 40-150/2.8?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by davdenic, Apr 21, 2015.

1. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    Hi
    my new lens are coming in these days and i'm struggling which bag could fit well since the 40-150/2.8 is pretty new on the market i could find any hints about a messenger bag for the "pro set".
    I'd like a messenger bag for my em5 +12-40 + 40-150/2.8
    Any idea?
    Thanks

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Think Tank Retrospective 10 fits this combo perfectly. This is my everyday carry bag. So this one or something similar in dimension should work out just fine.

3. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    Is the 5 too small?

4. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    You could also try the Timbuk2 Snoop bags. I have the TT Retrospective bags, Mindshift backpack, and Timbuk2 Snoop (small and medium) bags and the Snoop tends to be the leaves the house with me 8 times out of 10.

5. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    How much do you want to spend? I love my Hadley Pro and Domke F-803. I had a Thinktank Retrospective, but I didn't like how thick the bag was. The Domke and Billingham are thin, but roomy enough for your kit.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    A 5 might work, but things are probably going to be on top of each other. A retro 7 might be a better more compact kit.

7. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    I'd like a cool vintage style messenger bag.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Here's another thought. A Tom Bihn Medium or Large Cafe Bag with a padded insert.
    http://eekim.com/blog/2013/08/tom-bihn-bags-for-micro-four-thirds-cameras/#sthash.2xNdQH7g.dpbs

Kim used a Camaroo insert, probably this one. http://amzn.com/B008UVIT7M

I think a Large Cafe Bag would work pretty well.
    http://www.tombihn.com/messenger_bags/TB0203.html

I use a Medium Cafe Bag as a daily work carry bag, but I think it's a little tight for an EM5 or EM1. The Large might work better. And, when you don't need it as a camera bag, you can use it for anything else! These Cafe bags are not too wide, one thing I like about them.

10. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    there are some inexpensive military style bags on ebay and amazon that look nice and are inexpensive. add a camera insert to them and you'd have a nice setup for min cost.

These creative ideas, may not be what you're looking for though. The Tenba Switch is a nice looking Messenger bag. Tenba DNA series 8 might be tight, 11 with room to spare, Think Tank Urban Disguise is very nice. There are man to choose from. Other than the very small bags, like a Mirrorless Mover 5, or 10, I don't expect you'll have trouble fitting those two lenses.

If you have more budget, Ona and Wotancraft make bags that are beautiful as well as functional. Wotancraft Ryker and Raven are very nice Messengers.

There are so many to choose from and so few in stores to try out. Harder than choosing a camera. :) Buy from a place that lets you return without hassle and try a few if you have to.

Good luck. Let us know what you choose and how you like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I've fallen in love with the Lowepro Event Messenger 150 (or the 250 if you want something a little bigger).

12. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    I use the Domke F-5XC for that combo (and every other combo :)) love that bag

13. sircam1

sircam1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Try the Lowepro Pro Messenger series. Similar to the TT Retro range but adds a magnetic fastener on the flap when want some form of a flap closure but not want to use the Velcro.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Mu-43 mobile app

14. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I have two Timbuk2 messenger bags that I use for my kit. I bought a Domke padded insert kit that fits perfectly in both. The smaller (I think their medium size) fits my EM1 with 12-35 attached, my 40-150 2.8, and a FL600r snuggly, and there are several pockets for filters, remote cable, memory cards, etc... perfect for kicking around the streets and quick vacations. The larger messenger is what I take on shoots and fits all that plus a backup EM5, two additional lenses, a second FL600r, 4 YN 560, 2 canon battery packs, several Rogue Flashbenders, has a padded sleeve for my iPad, and I can lay my spider holster or a joby across the top. These bags are seemingly indestructible, easy to access, and don't stand out as a "camera bag" just walking down the street...

15. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Amazon sells an AmazonBasics a Small DSLR bag for only $19.99. It looks very nice actually and would easily fit those lenses, body and a few extras.

So many options.

16. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    I've an other idea, instead of a bag I could use two lens cases in a common bag or backpack. I'm using that with small lens and it works quite good. My two small lens cases have the belt and shoulder strap. The problem is to find the right one for the 40-150.

17. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm beginning to think the same, a few lens cases might be easier on this old shoulder than a camera bag.

18. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    For an upcoming trip to China I bought the Thinktank Urban Approach 10. It fits an EM1 with 40-150 2.8 attached, an Em5 with 12-40 2.8 attached, and a 25 and 75 in the middle. I can shoot from the bag easily. If I need to carry it around all day, the Urban Approach is small enough to fit inside my regular The North Face Jester backpack. Keeping the flap of the Urban Approach open makes the photography gear accessible inside the daypack. But I can also choose to leave the backpack at home / in the hotel, and just walk around with the TT Urban Approach messenger style.

• Like Like x 1
  19. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    All the biggest brands produce big bags and lens cases, perfect for canon and nikon but not for our small, compact micro43.
    Someone should start producing something for our needs, or maybe a new company could ;)