Messed up or fate. E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AdamThirtle, Jan 5, 2012.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Well, I ordered an E-PM1 earlier, then cancelled it moments later, but a great mix up occurred and now the camera has been dispatched!

My initial plan was to sell the kit lens and use the body with my 20mm and 45mm and to replace my E-P1.....but I now have to choice to return it too.

Will I be pleasantly suprised? What do you like about the little E-PM1?

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Great choice, it's the best bang for the buck in m43 world currently

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's a slightly different shooting experience than the EP1, but it's a very responsive camera. Find and turn on the Super Control Panel (it's off by default) and find and set "keep Warm AWB" to "off" and then test it with the EP1. You will likely be very pleasantly surprised.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I wish I had an E-P3, but I do love my little PM1. Sometimes I see someone with a big camera and almost feel like screaming "I have an SLR too, it's just really small!!"

5. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks for the responses. My main only real reason 'against' purchasing it would be it replacing my beloved E-P1. So beautiful, but yet so slow.

How do people feel about the 16:9 screen? Will it still look clearer than the old low res E-P1 screen...or should I maybe even sell my E-P1 to fund a VF2 (If I can handle letting her go, please don't make me)

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 16:9 isn't huge, but it's definitely brighter and more detailed than the E-P1's screen.

Don't sell the kit lens. You don't get a lot for it, and it's a convenient walkaround lens. Plus it gets you to 14mm.

I'd sell the E-P1 and get the VF-2. Eye-level VF is just awfully useful, and the E-P1, while nice to look at, won't seem nearly as nice to use after trying the E-PM1.

DH

7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm in the same boat - although I bought the E-PM1 on purpose ;-)

I couldn't bear to part with my E-P1 so I use it with my adapted lenses. Its actually much faster with the 14-42mkII kit lens that came with my E-PM1 (which I slapped my 20mm on).

I'd venture to say the E-PM1 is the sleeper hit of last year.

The guts of it are the same as its more 'powerful' brethren - all you really lose is a bit of immediate access to manual control.

8. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    One thing I had forgotten about until now is the E-PM1's faster continuous shooting and as I shoot plenty of skateboarding, I've always wanted the E-P1 to be a little faster for for shooting sequences. Hurray.

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PM1 burst mode is superb, 5.5fps and takes about 10 shots until the buffer slows it down for a few seconds

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    5.5 fps with IS off (a little less with IS on). Plus the focus is much faster.

11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have an E-P1 and an E-PM1 and they are different sorts of cameras. I like the E-P1 and keep it because I appreciate what it is but the E-PM1 is a better camera in almost every way. faster, smaller, better AF, better WB and IMHO better IQ (by a bit).

12. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
  13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes but high fps burst mode is typically used for moving objects when IBIS should be off anyway.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sorry to be way off topic, but this reminds me of a personal story. Half a lifetime ago, I was graduating from medical school and trying to decide which residency training program to try and attend. Then, like now, there was a "Match", meaning that you submitted your ranked choices of programs, the programs submitted their ranked choice of students, and a computer did the matching.

I knew I wanted to go into endocrinology, and I was geographically restricted because of my wife's job, so that left me with two really good options in the area where we lived. Both programs had great track records with regards to graduating residents who were successful in going to excellent endocrine fellowships. One was a small, "cushy" program that had work hours limitations, "night float" coverage, and generally pretty good lifestyle. The other program was a larger, "old school" program, where the housestaff fondly if a bit grimly referred to themselves as "Osler Marines".

I didn't much hesitate in ranking the cushy program #1 and the old school program as #2. However, at 11:57PM on the night of the deadline for online submission of program ranking, a close friend of mine from medical school convinced me I'd get better training the other way around, and I switched them. At 11:59, I had a "What was I thinking?!" moment and tried to switch them back, but the computer froze on me. Still, I reassured myself, the larger program is pretty competitive, and it's very unlikely that they will want me anyway.

Some weeks passed before I found out how that two-minute change of mind had determined the next four years of my life, and probably much more than that. Whether it changed my life for better or worse I can't say for sure - depends on how many years of my life the stress took away - but it was an incredibly rich experience, even when I was working >120 hours per week.

Messed up or fate? I say, enjoy your E-PM1 :2thumbs:.

• Like Like x 7
  15. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    For me,there is always no wrong option, because you can't experience that 2 options (in this case having epm1 / not having epm1) at the same time :)

16. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I wouldn't trade my E P3 for it, but I love mine.
    Once you set it as others here have recommended, it takes great pictures in a really nice form factor.

17. AdamThirtle

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I actually have a similar story about getting my degree with swapping courses around just be before the deadline and then regretting it instantly, but had to just go with it in the end!

• Like Like x 1
  18. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Don't sweat it. The E-PM1 may be one of the best cameras in a long time. It gives you a lot of bang for the buck, good image quality, and it's TINY! I traded my D200 for it, and have been extremely pleased (have a D7000 also, so yeah, I have a good range of gear).

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The LCD on the E-PM1 is much better than the E-P1. The E-PL2 of course is the best, having the same resolution and size but being 4:3 aspect. The best for the LCD types, I mean... the E-P3's OLED screen is a different breed.

You should definitely sell your E-P1 to purchase a VF-2 though. It will come in extremely handy in many situations.

I've never left Noise Filter on in any of my Olympus cameras, so I wouldn't know how about the strong filter. :) However, even with Noise Filter off the E-P1 was way too soft for my taste, with its stronger AA filter. The E-PM1 is much sharper, as was the E-PL2. It's the same difference as the E-3 to the E-5. You will also find it performs a lot better at higher ISO, retaining detail and showing no chroma or luma noise.

20. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I made the same switch (with a G1 and GH1 in-between).

After a week, I'm still getting used to the controls on the E-PM1. The user interface requires a bit more learning than the E-P1, but the PM1 LCD and AF are superior.

Although the PM1 feels much smaller/lighter and is as pocketable with pancake lens as an LX-3, I like that it has the same solid feel as the P1. My one objection was the grip when using it with a larger lens - e.g. a 14-140 zoom; I've since ordered a Flipbac G2 grip to improve that.