1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

merricam techinque

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by jbuch84, Mar 26, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    has anyone else tried out the "merricam techinque" makes for great videos.... just saw it on youtube. this wasn't my idea at all, but i did make a video to help some.

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/21534900"]http://www.vimeo.com/21534900[/ame]

Now, post some videos of you using this technique! Can't wait to see them :)

2. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Just a quick unedited sample, i'm still getting used to it and sure it can be perfected..
    [ame=http://www.vimeo.com/21535614]Untitled on Vimeo[/ame]

3. Kalieaire

Kalieaire Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2011
    I would just rather spend the money to get a real stabilizer. One that won't break the bank that I personally love to use is the GlideCam 2000. You can find it used for around 200-250 easily.

It's an older model but it works easily and takes washers as weights. It's perfect for smaller cameras, and it even worked pretty decently for my old Canon XH-A1 HDV camera. It's even better with DSLRs!

I mean, it's cool and all to spend a lot of time to build something, there's always that great sense of accomplishment, but at some point, buying works out better, if you have the money to spend on your craft.

Another thing you should invest in, if you plan on using stabilizers a lot, is a gym membership. Weight training for your lower back and curls for your biceps are incredibly important to keep a stabilizer stable.

I mean, I can only hold onto my glide cam for less than 5 minutes at a time, and I've worked out like craaaaaaazy.

4. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I have a flycam nano, just was giving a heads up to the modders out there :) And lucky for me when I'm not taking photos I'm in the gym! All good advice though, couldn't agree more.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kalieaire

Kalieaire Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2011
    oh ok, sweet. yeah, so when you get ready to use a real steadicam like a flyer, do some dead lifts in your normal routine. trustme, it'll save you. but also invest in a masseuse, or have your girl give you massages. you'll need them because your lower back gets into knots if you don't from wearing a steadicam all day. ;_;

• Like Like x 1
  6. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Hahaha, good stuff!

7. eternallurker

eternallurker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    I like the Fig Rig, (or any of it's many DIY variations. They are very easy to make and work almost like the real deal if done right).

I was very skeptical at first with this silly looking apparatus. It's simplicity made me raise an eyebrow. Once I had on of these wheels on my hands I was convinced.

It's not a SteadyCam, nor it tries to be.
    It's a different kind of stabilizer with different end results.

But for small cameras, IMO it's much better than hand held, cheaper and easier to use than many of the small Steady's out there, which are so heavy, that without the arm and vest they are pretty much useless after about 45 min of work (At least for my weak back and arms).

Also setup time is almost instant, and learning curve is pretty small.

8. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I may give that idea a try! I haven't had any luck balancing a gf2 on a flycam nano as of yet. It takes too much time to adjust every little thing that it almost makes using it impractical. Maybe if you could lock all the settings into so it was just attach and go, but if you change anything you start from square one again :)

So that being said, your idea sounds pretty nice!