(Merged) The lens Micro Four Thirds really needs is _________.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sebastel, Jan 20, 2010.

1. sebastel

sebastel Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2010
    not your business
    so far, the list of available lenses for mu4/3 is still short, and even though there are lots of lenses that can be adapted, there are some that i am missing.

how do you all think about it?

the lens i miss, and which i'd like to see offered in mu4/3 mount:

23mm sonnar type, max. aperture 1.5 .. 2.0 (not necessarily a pancake)
    10.5mm biogon type, max. aperture 2.8 .. 4
    45mm sonnar type, max. aperture 2.0

it's true, the 1.7/20mm seems to be quite nice a lens, but for some reason i just do not like it. i did not yet find out what it exactly is that i do not like.

cheers,
    sebastian

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The lens Micro Four Thirds really needs is _________.

How would you complete the following statement?

The lens Micro Four Thirds really needs is _________.

3. voyager

voyager  

Dec 31, 2009
    28-135mm (equivalent)

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    an image stabilized (for us poor, unstable Pana users) 50mm f/1.8

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    A 57mm f1.2 portrait lens (I know it seems long, but the dof control at this combination of fl and aperture is about the best for the 4/3rds sensor)

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

...one with a magical goblin inside that turns everything I take into a spectacular work of art.

Can't happen you say?

In that case I'm with Brian wanting a portrait lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Agree with Amin, I reasonable priced 50mm f1.8 with good optics.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Oops, I missed this thread and started a similar one yesterday. Personally, I do very much like the Pana 20/1.7, and the 7-14 has considerably weakened my desire for another wide lens.

An AF short telephoto prime would cover my wants nicely.

9. sebastel

sebastel Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2010
    not your business
    so, why not merge the threads?
    ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Fixed Wides

I'd love something in the 9 or 10mm range, f 2.8 would be great, ideally not too much of a retro-focus design. I guess when they're more available, my next lens is going to be the 7-14, but I'd really like something smaller on my GF1, and have so much been enjoying life without zooms. (To be fair, I do like tele zooms, where a few steps isn't going to get you where you want to be.)

11. Roni G

Roni G Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2010
    Israel
    24-70mm (equivalent) F2.8.
    This lens, a fast portrait prime, the current available lenses the those already on the Panasonic road-map, are an impressive start for a new system. certainly more then I can afford in the next several years.

12. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    "A 57mm f1.2 portrait lens (I know it seems long, but the dof control at this combination of fl and aperture is about the best for the 4/3rds sensor)

Cheers

Brian

i just got the hexanon 57 1.2 and its really sharp wide open

a great lens

13. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i9 would love it if a voigtlander lens was made in m4\3 mount something wide fast and small

14. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Cosina and m4/3

Cosina seems like an ideal company to produce m4/3 lenses—my sense is that their production numbers are scaled to more "niche" markets. Does anyone know the best contact for us to begin a campaign to suggest that they enter this market? So far I am thrilled with the IQ from the FF 50 f1.5 Nokton, and can only imagine how delightful a similar optical design, (but one scaled down to a smaller format), with similar construction would be to use on these smaller bodies.

15. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Cosina happily makes lenses in large quantities. That's its main business, I believe. However, it seems no longer to want to put the name "Cosina" on such products.

Cosina also seems to want to reserve the name "Voigtländer" for particular kinds of products. (I'm not sure of the degree to which it can use the "Zeiss" name.)

I can't see any reason why Cosina would want to sell M43 lenses at this point. These would have to be designed specifically for M43. What a lot of bother, merely in order to compete with the enormous and powerful Panasonic and the newly reinvigorated Olympus for a share in a growing but still small market.

Neither Fuji nor Sigma seems to be selling its own SLR any longer. I wonder whether either of them has anything in mind.

Mr Miyazaki of MS R&D seems happy to bring out the occasional lens in small quantity. Perhaps he could be persuaded to bring out something like a 12mm f2 lens. But maybe the prices of C-mount alternatives would first have to rise yet further.

But if I were a company starting to contemplate designing and selling one or more M43 lenses, I'd first want to wait and see whether the new Samsung design takes off and goes anywhere.

16. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    cosina does occasionally put their moniker on a piece of equipment but their decision to make their current crop of lenses under the voigtlander name is a good one and well executed,
    it is also respectful to the design legacy of that original firm , quite a rarity in these barbarous times . i too wish that they would design for the 4\3 image circle, the lenses would sell like hotcakes ,and it might shake some sense into those cretins at panny and oly who haven't a clue what lenses 4\3 owner really want , and would readily spend money on

imagine a voigtlander 10 or 12 ,2.8 a 25 1.4 an 18 1.4 or something i cannot dream of

and if they produced a full frame or aps-h m mount machine that didnt cost 9000 dollars well wouldn't that be the killer product?

look at great companies like nikon and canon , they used to turn out compact machines
    that were well made today neither company seems capible or willing to produce a decent compact machine with a sensor larger than a pea

if it has a reasonable sensor , it has to be an amorphous black lump of polycarbonate meteorite? it it has to be huge ? years ago beautiful cameras abounded with an image size of full frame nikon 35 Ti many beautiful contax cameras , rollei and many others made compact machines that had a 35 mm image circle but today its impossible?? i dont buy it ,

if you want to know what people want look at epsons experiment with an m mount camera done years ago with a 5 mp sensor and check its price used today look atthe sucess of micro 4\3 and its use for shooting with legacy glass , people want fast glass , end of story
    im shocked that the ep1 and gf1 ever saw the light of day in these dark corporate times

panny and oly , its time to wake up

when oh when will they get a clue????

• Like Like x 2
  17. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    yes

hear you loud and clear:smile:

if you are handy, canon made a 110 camera with a 26mm f 2.0 lens , you can research it on camerapedia its can be had for 20 - 30 dollars US , it was the fastest 110 ever made , 110 lenses have an image circle almost the same size as m4\3 and work well on the format without the vignetting one typically sees with c mount lenses

one need to put it in a threaded mechanism a plumbing fitting, or the head of a mini mag light or and threaded solution so you can move foward and back a few mm , when modding fit for infinity focus and throw foward from that point....... and fit that into a lens cap , the 26 f 2 is sharp and bright and quite tiny......... the lens , sans mechanism, is about the size of a mini marshmallow , i had it in a plumbing screw fitting for about a week to test it and it very sharp and bright , alas the solution wa sbulky and im using a maglite instead

cheers,

18. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    To sell in the kind of quantity that would be worth their trouble, it would have to be autofocusing and have all the other electronic extras. Whereupon Cosina would have to pay close attention to the details of M43 electronics and the changes thereto. You and I know that this is superfluous but millions of people do not.

I doubt that very much, however the product was labeled. Cosina wouldn't put its own name on it or anything like it. Cosina might do the mechanical and optical part of the construction for some other company that wanted it; just as it made the Fuji 6x7 folder.

You puzzle me. I thought the consensus hereabouts was that M43 was a clueful design, and that there were already plenty of good lenses for it. You're dreaming of a wide, fast lens for it; I ordered one just hours ago for $25 plus shipping. The lens will need a little attention but I have reason to think that the results will be worthwhile.