1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mercury Transit

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by PeHa, May 9, 2016.

1. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Anyone else tried to image the Mercury Transit across the face of the sun today? Here are two samples, shot with E-M1 and Skywatcher Equinox with EC-14, makes 700mm at f8.8.

...btw, Mercury is the black, sharper dot in the lower part :) The upper dots are sun spots.

A "clean" sun surface
    [​IMG]
    With cloud shadows
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
  2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    UW-Madison's historic Washburn Observatory was open for viewing, but it's been mostly cloudy all day so I didn't go. According to their twitter feed, though, some people got to see it.

3. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    It's been sunny here so a good day to see it. Though the Mercury image is small it gives a feeling for the relative proportions and just how large the sun actually is. The distance to the sun at this moment is about twice the distance to Mercury (150 million km vs 80).

4. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    I've tried and weather was excellent in the first half of transit. In the second half I wasn't so lucky, clouds prevented most of my attempts.
    Still I have more than 6 GB of images on my disc. :)
    Here is one example with E-PM2 + 1200mm f/6 Dobson telescope.

sunmerk2.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Very nice! What sun protection did you use? I quickly made a protection from a piece of left-over Baader AstroSolar film but it got a bit wrinkly which may have had an impact...

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  6. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    I'm using also Baader Astrosolar filter. BTW, it must be "bit wrinkly". Under tension it looses its optical qualities.
    Image imperfections are mostly caused by turbulences in atmosphere in case of astrophotography.

• Informative Informative x 1