1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

menu on OM-D inaccessible

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photobug429, Sep 3, 2012.

1. photobug429

photobug429 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington, DC area
    Judy
    Help!

I just received a new OM-D E-M5 and can not get the menu to open so I can not set anything up. The battery is charged and I took some pictures which I can not see on the monitor, but can on my computer. Before returning it, I want to be sure that there is a flaw. When I picked up the package at \FedEx, the outer box was deformed, but I checked inside and the Olympus box looked fine.

After reading posts about the monitor cracking, I would like to know if an add-0n cover is advisable.

Thanks for your help. I never had such a problem before and can't find anything useful in either manual.:frown:

2. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    One thing to check...do you see anything in the EVF?

• Like Like x 1
  3. photobug429

photobug429 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington, DC area
    Judy
    Yes, I can see settings and change some, but no playback or menu. Sometimes the screen has horizontal stripes across it, but nothing else shows up either menu or playback. I bought it with the 12-50mm lens which has NO instructions so don't know if that is a problem. It does zoom by turning the wide ring. What are the macro nd L-Fn buttons on the lens for? I see an orange icon shaped like an SD card when I take a picture.

Thanks to all for any help you can provide. This is time when I wish I had bought locally, but the local store has none in stock.

I can't figure out why I can't access the menu or monitor screen at all.

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam

I wouldn't worrying about the L-fn and screen protectors at this point. Remedy the horizontal stripes and the lack of menu/ playback first.

I have a feeling the camera is defective.

But as MrKal_El suggested, make sure nothing is obstructing the EVF. It has a sensor that kicks in the EVF if something gets close it it. Hold the camera away from yourself and pressing the "play" button....can you see your pictures? If you press the menu button, does anything happen? Press the button on the right side of the EVF...does that do anything?

If not, then you got a weird issue with the camera and you should return it

• Like Like x 1
  5. photobug429

photobug429 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington, DC area
    Judy
    Thanks

I tried holding the camera away from me and could see nothing when pushing any of the buttons--menu, playback or the LV button. I will call Olympus first to see what they say and the call the dealer who is in CA. We are headed there soon, but the store and mail order operate separately. I have bought from them in the store and on line so hope there will be no problems. At least I didn't open the SD card they included since it was an unknown brand to me (Dane-Elec). I'd prefer returning it in person if we can figure out how to carry it on the plane.

It sounds like a great camera so I hope I get this solved soon.

Again, thanks for your help.

6. photobug429

photobug429 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington, DC area
    Judy
    Just an update. I called Olympus and they agreed I have a defective camera. Samy's is sending a return authorization. I may be able to pick it up in CA since we are headed there soon. I hope for better luck next time! I may be back for more help.

7. photobug429

photobug429 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington, DC area
    Judy
    Thanks I now have a new E-M5! Dane-Elec card?

I really appreciate your assistance with what was a defective camera. I now have the new one and am trying to learn how to use it. It is unfortunate that Olympus did not make a manual for the 12-50mm lens. I wasn't sure how to use the locking ring, but went to the store in CA from whose web store I bought it and got some help.

They included a Dane-Elec 16 GBSDHC card--a Pro 200X, but it is not listed on the Olympus website and I never heard of the brand. I don't want to void the warranty.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've never heard of a card voiding the warranty. Unless specifically stated in the warranty, you should be able to use that card without any warranty issues.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Glad you finally got a working camera. Now go shoot with that bad boy and start getting familiar with it!

Dane-Elec has been around for a while and they are fine. Any brand card is fine and will not void any warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  10. photobug429

photobug429 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington, DC area
    Judy
    Thanks to all of you for your help! I did read some negative reviews on the Dane-Elec cards, but appreciate your input as I had never heard of them. I have plenty of SD cards from other cameras, but the camera came with the card and a small bag. This is a great forum.

• Like Like x 1