Menu items now "grayed out"

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by judystowell, Sep 20, 2014.

1. judystowell

judystowell Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    EM-1 user - Yesterday I did the firmware update, and then had to go & reset all of my settings. I thought everything was good. But now today, I find when I go back through some of the menus MANY of my menu options are "grayed out". Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I'm on "M" mode - some of the "grayed out" items: Gear A section - AF mode - can't access Full time AF; and in same Gear section, in the MF assist category, Peaking is grayed out. In the gear B section, the Mode dial Function is grayed out. In C Gear - many items here are grayed out - items 2 - 5. That's as far as I got in the menus & quit. I'm guessing I have some setting somewhere that has inactivated all of these.

Help please!!!!

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    There is a logic to it.
    For example suppose you can't assign the mode dial to a Myset - that option is greyed out. The reason is that no Mysets have yet been stored. So that answers one of your questions.
    And you can't set the record mode on Shooting menu 1 to LSF unless you have used G/Record mode to change from LF to LSF.

I suggest you make all the settings you can, save a Myset, then start from the beginning again and you will find more of them work. And it might help you to read the new manual.

3. judystowell

judystowell Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Thanks Growltiger (by the way, one of my favorite shows...ever!) Anyway, I wasn't even looking at the Mysets yet - my problems were just with regular menu items. So I backtracked some, trying to remember what things I DID change. And almost all of my grayed out items went away when I disabled the new "keystone compensation" item (new in Shooting Menu 1). I don't understand that, but that's what happened.
    I'm still grayed out in Gear B section - Mode dial function; I did get back all of my Gear C items.
    So it looks like it's just the Mode Dial function that I can't access - any idea what I need this for anyway????
    Thanks.

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Did you read the original poems too?

Like I said, the mode dial function lets you assign Mysets to various dial positions. It is grayed out until you actually have stored some Mysets. Save a Myset and it will no longer be grayed out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kirschm

kirschm Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2014
    Germany
    The reason for a greyed out option is that there is a setting somewhere which conflicts with the greyed out option... find the conflict and you are done... :)