Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sebs_color, Jan 12, 2014.

1. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    I keep hearing about the benefits of getting better SD cards for cameras, but which exactly are the better ones?? Anyone know of any good SD cards?
  2. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    I am using a Sandisk Extreme Pro (95Mbps) for over a year now & everything works fine.
  3. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Better could mean following:

- faster saving speed - when you shoot bursts this is an advantage
    - faster reading speed - advantage when moving pictures from camera to computer
    - mechanical durability - one can't say anything based on specs, only experience will tell

One for Sandisk Extreme Pro from me also. Haven't got any problems with Kingston either, but only have slower Kingston cards, that's why I prefer Sandisk.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also be aware that many cards have a quoted speed in big font that actually just indicates READ speed. You might need to dig into small print to find the all important write speed figure.
  5. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Another vote for SanDisk, although I stick with Extreme, not Extreme Pro. I rarely shoot in burst mode.

I just did a test of two generations of Extremes - 30MB/s and 45MB/s in my G6. Shooting Super high speed mode (40 x 4Mpixel images in one second), the 45MB/s card cleared the buffer in an average of 8.5 seconds. The 30MB/s card cleared it in 12.1 seconds. Testing Raw plus small JPG in high speed mode, the 45MB/s took 8 shots and then averaged 5.7 seconds to clear the buffer. The 30MB/s card took 7 shots and averaged 12.4 seconds to clear the buffer.

So card speed does make a difference. But in my case it doesn't matter. So, no Pro for me.
  6. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    This is great info everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback. Thank you all so much!!
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Some cards also claim to be water-resistant, crush-resistant, etc.

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Back in my DSLR days I used only Lexar CF cards and readers. The external readers were via USB3. Never had a problem with them. They cards where usually the fastest at read and write times on Ron Galbraith's site for memory card use with cameras.

Now that I am using a Retina Macbook and E-M1 camera, I have two Lexar class 10 64GB SDXC cards. I read them with my rMPB's internal SD card reader. Between both cards I should not run out of space on a very long day of shooting wildlife and landscapes. Note that many of the Lexar cards and other brands come in two packs for a cost savings. Always check B&H and Adorama for the best prices.