Memory card speed for GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rossi46, Aug 12, 2012.

1. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Hi guys...

I got another quick question seeking for advice.
    I am intending to buy additional Memory card, as I understand, speed of camera's processor could be a limiting factor to the requirement of memory card speed. Example, if we have a slow camera and have class 10 memory card, the photo processing speed will not be improved, thus buying a memory card speed faster than what the camera is capable of will be considered waste of money.

The memory card I am using now is Class 6,..I find it abit slow when I shoot many shots in raw.
    Should I upgrade to Class 10? Will Class 10 be overkill for GX1's camera processing speed?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    The GX1 is full compatible with the faster UHS-1 cards so it wouldn't hurt.
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Class 10 are dirt cheap now, I am not sure why you would even buy a 6. Many here are using thr high speed SanDisk and Lexar cards that are UHS 1 or even higher.
  4. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Thanks to all for your reply....I will consider Class 10 hehe..

UHS 1 is even faster than Class 10? Is the difference huge?

Hi Promit,...
    The only reason why I am using Class 6 is because it comes together with my camera when I purchase it (thats the only memory card I have).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Loksi

Loksi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2010
    Using Class 10 SanDisk in both GH2 and GX1 here. Don't know if overkill but certainly haven't experienced any delays :wink:
  6. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    Same here: been using SanDisk SD cards for years and no problems.
  7. DaveH

DaveH New to Mu-43

Jul 5, 2012
    I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro which I beleive are Class-10 UHS-1 and apparently R/W at 95mbs..

Never had issues with it, Ive got 2 of the 8 gig cards and they seem quite quick, although I havent used anything slower as these were the cards I purchased when I recieved the camera.
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Rossi
    I bought a SDHC with 45mb/sec and 95 Mb/sec speed and there is a huge difference in performance .
  9. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Keep an eye on

Many SD card deals