1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Memory Card Card Card Cards

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Maeda, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    :smile:

Like most men, I believe if some is good, more is probably better.

But is this the case with memory card speeds?

I have a stack of 16GB class 4 cards, and they've never been a problem in the speed department when shooting with my GF1, but now that i'm upgrading to a G3... will they be sufficient? good even?

15MB/s SanDisk Ultra 16GB cards

The GF1 in burst mode was never fast enough to have the relatively slow class 4 cards slow it down in my use.. will the case be different for the G3 with its faster burst times?

I don't mind buying a new class 10 card or two, or three (or maybe a class 6 eye-fi pro x2), but i'm not looking for excuses to burn money when I have 3x 16GB cards sitting here either..

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Fast cards are really most useful for saving out RAW files in burst mode, and for video. Class 4 won't do well at all for HD recording, for example.

3. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Why is this?

The HD video I've captured in the past looked fine(?), and I shoot RAW in burst mode..

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_g3_review/specifications/

The spec sheet here, has an * denoting that when using AVCHD 1080i, a class 4 card or better should be used..

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    There's a lot of varieties of HD. 720p vs 1080i vs 1080p, 24 fps vs 30 fps vs 50 fps vs 60 fps, and then the actual bit rate you're writing out. All of that affects how fast the card has to write.

Oh, and in my haste I forgot the actual important point. Class 4 is a minimum, not a maximum. A card can be class 4 and write at ten trillion megabytes/sec, or it can be class 10 and write at 10 megabytes/sec. SanDisk's ratings are peak numbers, I believe. So a class 10, 15 MB/s card will write anywhere between 10 and 15 MB/s, depending on...something. A class 4 card will write between 4 and infinity MB/s, depending on...something.

You might want to investigate benchmark software to tell you the actual speed of your cards.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    :thumbup:
    That is what i'm looking for. Thank you.

So my class 4 card is writing somewhere north of 4MB/s and south of 15MB/s... and AVCHD needs something like 17 MB/s+
    I also thought of one good reason to have FAST FAST FAST cards.. so you don't have to wait an eternity uploading raw files when you get home.

Time to put my usb 3.0 to good use then.. Kingston UltimateXX here I come?

6. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For the small price difference, I don't see why you wouldn't buy the faster cards when you're shopping, but I don't know that I would necessarily go out and buy a bunch to replace slower cards unless you were doing a ton of video (or maybe RAW)

8. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Well, in my case.. I got these 3 cards years ago, for 11$ a piece in some kind of crazy double rebate promotion.