Memorial Day Racing at Lime Rock

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
LRPMemorialDay19-26.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-28.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-25.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-27.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-23.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-15.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-18.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-21.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-30.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-29.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-7.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-13.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-8.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-6.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-5.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-9.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-4.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

Last edited:

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
I use my 75mm 1.8 for 95% + of these type of shots. I forgot I owned the Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6 lol, I bought it for $70 a long time ago and just forgot about it. I decided to ty it out for shooting motorsports, mainly to get a feel for the 40-150mm range as I was playing around with the idea of buying the 2.8 version. I'm actually surprised at the results I got from a $70 lens.

LRPMemorialDay19-19.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-11.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-17.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-12.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-20.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

LRPMemorialDay19-16.jpg by Paul Wolanski, on Flickr

Last edited:

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
I assume that the green KOOL indy car is some sort of a historic class - was this a Paul Tracy or Dario Franchitti car from the 90s?

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
I assume that the green KOOL indy car is some sort of a historic class - was this a Paul Tracy or Dario Franchitti car from the 90s?
I was there a couple of days and still dont understand the class structure. There was like 10+ groups of cars all mixed up throughout the weekend. It was more of a "track day plus" for rich older guys than actual racing though, lol. The Kool car lapped the competition in like 5 minutes. It was still fun to watch and shoot though.

Funny enough I was sitting at a empty picnic table, just watching as I was tired of shooting when an elderly couple asked if they could sit at the table. It turned out they're the Kool car driver's parents. They flew out from France for the event. We chatted for an hour or so as we watched their son win the "race". Even his mother said it wasnt fair at all because her son's car is so much faster than his "competition". I guess he didnt start any sort of racing until he was 38 though, which is a pretty neat.

Last year Lime Rock held the Pirelli World Challenge for Memorial day which was alot more fun.

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Amazing job with the panned shots. I can't believe how crisp the focus is, particularly on the 1/20' shots. I just got back from 3 days at the Sonoma Speed Festival, using a m43 outfit for the first time for motorsports, and I know how challenging it is to get panned shots at those shutter speeds. Did you use a monopod or tripod to assist with the panning, and how much cropping did you have to do with the 40-150 lens?

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Kool car is a Lola T97/20, which was the only chassis used for the Indy Lights Series from '97-2001.
Kool was a sponsor for Team Green's Indy Lights entries, but both Paul Tracy and Dario Franchitti were racing in the main series by then.

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I use my 75mm 1.8 for 95% + of these type of shots. I forgot I owned the Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6 lol, I bought it for $70 a long time ago and just forgot about it. I decided to ty it out for shooting motorsports, mainly to get a feel for the 40-150mm range as I was playing around with the idea of buying the 2.8 version. I'm actually surprised at the results I got from a $70 lens.
Fantastic shots Paul. The shots with the 75mm in the paddock are great.

Regarding the 40-150, if you're using it primarily for panning, you're unlikely to see any real benefit of the f/2.8 lens. At f/8-11, that cheap-o, plastic-fantastic zoom is going to be indistinguishable from the PRO lens. The area where the f/2.8 lens would come in handy would be if you started shooting events were they ran in to the evening (keeping ISO values down), or if you wanted better subject isolation for head-on shots. But for panning, the f/4-5.6 lens is fantastic.

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I brought my "plastic fantastic" 40-150 f/4-5.6 with an EM1 Mk.ii to the Italian Grand Prix last summer, and it did not disappoint! It's a great lens, and the price was right! (About US$70)

Real Name
Rob
Fantastic set Paul.

Also - I love the picture on your Flickr feed taken from high in the stands and which seems to have been taken with the 12-40, so looks like a stitched panorama, but yet has light trails on the track. How on earth did you do that, if you don’t mind me asking?!

pwol

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks everyone!

Amazing job with the panned shots. I can't believe how crisp the focus is, particularly on the 1/20' shots. I just got back from 3 days at the Sonoma Speed Festival, using a m43 outfit for the first time for motorsports, and I know how challenging it is to get panned shots at those shutter speeds. Did you use a monopod or tripod to assist with the panning, and how much cropping did you have to do with the 40-150 lens?
No tripod or monopod, just handheld panning. I've had a decent amount of practice but still try to learn and improve on every single panning burst. I'm constantly trying to tweak my technique.

As for the 40-150 shots, I think half were just vertical crops to 16:9, half were cropped a little bit more.

Fantastic shots Paul. The shots with the 75mm in the paddock are great.

Regarding the 40-150, if you're using it primarily for panning, you're unlikely to see any real benefit of the f/2.8 lens. At f/8-11, that cheap-o, plastic-fantastic zoom is going to be indistinguishable from the PRO lens. The area where the f/2.8 lens would come in handy would be if you started shooting events were they ran in to the evening (keeping ISO values down), or if you wanted better subject isolation for head-on shots. But for panning, the f/4-5.6 lens is fantastic.
Really? indistinguishable when stopped down for panning? That's pretty crazy. I know the 2.8 pro is expensive because of the build quality, f2.8 aperture, weather sealing, etc.. but surely that price tag is also due to better glass and image quality. I think indistinguishable is a pretty strong word.

I was surprised at the shots I got from the plastic fantastic. It was just a low key event so I didnt mind wasting time playing around with it to give it a shot. I regret not bringing it to Daytona and Sebring lol.

I'll probably stick with my $70 plastic fantastic instead of buying the 2.8 pro. Obviously I'd use the lens for stuff other than motorsports panning, but I think the f4-5.6 serves my amateur needs just fine. I also like that it's super light and small, I can shoot all day with it, or keep it in my bag without any real weight gain.

Fantastic set Paul.

Also - I love the picture on your Flickr feed taken from high in the stands and which seems to have been taken with the 12-40, so looks like a stitched panorama, but yet has light trails on the track. How on earth did you do that, if you don’t mind me asking?!
That's one of my most favorite photos that I've ever taken. It was around 1-2am during the 24 hour IMSA race at Daytona this year (I stayed up for the entire race lol). It's 5-8 shot pano using ~2min long exposures shot with live composite. It was very tricky getting a series of shots that lined up and had clean continuity between frames. Often times cars came into pit road, which ruined the pano series as it didnt flow well between stitch points. I tried several times and got pretty lucky with that series.

I got a 10"x37" metal print done from bayphoto, and it looks so much better in person than on my screen. I love it.

Last edited:

smartiepants

Mu-43 Veteran
Love those Daytona photos, with I had more time to take "action" photos when I go racing but I only get a short amount of time before racing starts to get my photos as I'm a flag marshal here in the UK, I get the odd time where they are doing demo runs but it takes time and practice to get it right
Thanks for sharing

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom