1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

melbourne with my Voigtlander m4/3 Nokton

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kosta, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Ok, so today i took a stroll into the city and it was hot. (ok captain obvious.)

i took a few snaps around degraves lane, and bumped into someone with a black e-p2 with his own nokton! what are the chances! I didn't get to stop him and say hello, but if you are part of this forum, hello!

then there was a wedding passing through (quite common in Degraves st) and just generally was a hive of activity! great place for people photos.

also bumped into another guy who was curious where i got the lens - who said he also had an e-pl1 - to which i recommended him to join this forum.

then went to michael's camera store and spent a bit of time looking through the camera museum, some fascinating stuff in there; i only took a single photo as i found the nokton's film brother, but if you are in melbourne it is a great little exhibition to see (for free too!).

rather interesting day anyway!

some photos will follow once they upload to flickr!

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

An interesting day - waiting on the photos.

3. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    You didn't head over to the hotrod show at the old exhibition building???

I'm still processing my pics, I hate it when the pics look great on the LCD but you get home and well, not so perfect... Was in a rush though as had my 2yo with me who's patience has limits..

4. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Ah! I didn't know there was a hotrod show on! :S I only grabbed a couple of handfuls of photos so hopefully there is one or two worth sharing!

5. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Which Voigtlander lens did you use?

6. elshaneo

elshaneo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Kosta,

It was me, I was there today at Degraves street :wink:

I even saw the young Asian couple being photographed by their own wedding photographer, I went straight next to the wedding photographer and quickly took a snapshot of the newly-wed couple, who did not mind of getting their photos taken by a total stranger :tongue:

P1233401.

7. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    the 25mm 0.95, aka, the (native) micro four thirds one :p

p.s. nice work Shane! if i see you again next time i'll be sure to stop you and say hello! I managed to get more candid shots of the two...still getting the hang of manual focus and picking the right aperture! slowly climbing that learning curve

8. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Post them up..

How many Melbourne people on this forum? maybe we should have a thread we update with any events we notice are on?

Anyway my pics are here for what its worth... https://www.mu-43.com/f57/hotrod-show-melbourne-many-images-8874/

• Like Like x 2
  9. elshaneo

elshaneo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Kosta,

Yeah mate, next time don't hesitate to come and say hello :smile:

10. elshaneo

elshaneo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    ok so for the most part I took a more black and white approach (no pun intended) but left a few in colour because it's such a vibrant laneway.

<iframe align="center" src="http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?set_id=72157625761163603" width="800" height="800" frameBorder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><br /><center><small>Created with <a href="http://www.flickrslideshow.com">flickr slideshow</a> from <a href="http://www.softsea.com">softsea</a>.</small></center>

some could do with some cropping and re-work but I took the set as if I was using film, trying to nail it (or get as close as possible) in one go.

• Like Like x 5
  12. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Next time I will post something up here, maybe the mods here could create an 'events' section and we could have a thread for each city, that way we can just keep it in one thread and you just 'subscribe' to your city thread to help each other to know when things are on....

Kosta: Good collection, there is something about using manual lenses and B&W, it just seems right.. :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  13. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    Great street shoots, Kosta. I am looking forward for more views of Melbourne.

I have a personal interest for Melbourne. There is a possibility for moving there next year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    something I relied on a lot yesterday was the EVF in the vertical position. It let me keep the camera below eye level and definitely helps with those upward shots.

15. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    So anyone know of any good events on Australia Day?

I know we have fireworks at around 9pm in fed square and also a woodchop event at Alexandra gardens from 10am-4pm (not sure if that will be worthwhile??)

16. Cane toad races at the Story Bridge Hotel, Brisbane!!!

17. elshaneo

elshaneo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks, I'll check out the Alexandra gardens tomorrow then :smile:

18. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    anyone going to the city for Chinese New Year on Thursday night? :)

19. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
  20. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    the Chinese New Year celebrations go on for a little while (not sure how long exactly, but according to that page:
    "The start of the 2011 Chinese New Year Festival in Melbourne is on Thursday, February 3, 2011 - Year of the Rabbit."

I know that night at southbank it should be pretty busy. I aim to head down there for some food and culture :)