1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Melbourne Street Art.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Livnius, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi all.

This is a series of shots I took about a month ago in Melbourne. I was always fascinated by the street art/graffiti I'd see in the narrow laneways and alleys hidden all over city....the art was interesting sure, but so too was the idea of how these guys did it....silently, secretly in the dead of night.

Most of these shots were taken in AC/DC lane where local businesses and communities have fought councils long and hard to protect these spaces as art zones and to encourage more quality, whereas for decades, councils have fought against this and spent truckloads of money removing the art work.
    There was an outcry of anger about a year ago when Melbourne city council had mistakenly(?) removed a work by famed British street artist Banksy.

Melbourne City council has since been forced to accept it in those places where the local community and businesses embrace and encourage it.

1. A broken & bleeding heart. (GF1+14/2.5)
    Street_art_Melbourne-13.

2 Vespa parked in AC/DC lane. (GF1+14/2.5)
    Street_art_Melbourne-24.

3. Never ever ? (GF1+PL25/1.4)
    Street_art_Melbourne-23a.

4. Selfie. (GF1+PL25/1.4)
    Street_art_Melbourne-28.

5. Green. (GF1+14/2.5)
    Street_art_Melbourne-12.

6. Keeping an eye on hate. (GF1+45/1.8)
    Street_art_Melbourne-38.

7. Cocktail bar facade. (GF1+PL25/1.4)
    Street_art_Melbourne-44.

8. Cry me a rainbow. (GF1+PL25/1.4)
    Street_art_Melbourne-40.

9. Monster of the deep. (GF1+PL25/1.4)
    Street_art_Melbourne-41.

10. Rat with wings. (GF1+PL25/1.4)
    Street_art_Melbourne-43.

11. Stones floating sideways. (GF1+14/2.5)
    Street_art_Melbourne-26.

12. Ripples. (GF1+PL25/1.4)
    Street_art_Melbourne-48.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Great documentary. I love the framing of the scooter shot (#2) and #6 with the security cam is awesome in every way. Great colour processing, too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Cheers Nic. I quite like #6 too.

The most exciting thing is, there is so much more street art to discover all over Melbourne, the Brunswick/Fitzroy area is rich with it and will be my next target area.

4. I'd love to see more of Melbourne. I've been there only once for the 2007 F1 GP and didn't see much else besides Albert Park.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Fantastic. Great to look at thanks for posting.
    Well captured and presented.

I must say, as a signwriter myself, some of that artwork is really well done.
    It's hard to paint on walls like that and number 7 in particular is quite complex as well as artistic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Nice series - really enjoying it. I'd say my favorites are #6 and #10. I like the tenth particularly because there is some street art there, but it would be a fine photograph without it because you've used the shapes and shadows and light to make a composition that's well more than the street art itself. Most of the rest of really fine documentary shots, but I see more of your eye in that one. Very nice!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your viewing and taking the time to leave feedback.

Nic. Melbourne is a pretty awesome place to check out, it doesn't have that instant tourist appeal that perhaps Sydney or the Gold Coast has, Melbournes beauty is in many ways more subtle and often hidden, thus leaving it up to you to discover it. Our laneway culture will reward the adventurous urban explorer with a wealth of European style streetside cafes, bars, art galleries and much more. If you do ever come down though...try bring some of your own weather, it's sure to be better than ours ;)

Retroboy. Thanks mate. Agreed, these guys do some really great stuff that I personally believe is deserving of the word Art. It would be great to know which pieces were done secretly under the cover of darkness and which were done in broad daylight under commission.

Ray. Thanks for the encouragement, really appreciate it. It's funny but I almost walked straight past that little guy and only when I crouched down to his level did i see the opportunity to frame him in the context you mentioned. But that wasn't easy to achieve with all the shots so by default many remained purely documentary shots. Perhaps an UWA would have helped because many of the larger pieces are in fact murals of considerable size...it would have been nice to have had a 7-14 or even a 9-18 to bring more light/shadows or architectural detail into the frame. There are many ways to take a great shot and i am on my own personal mission of learning how to achieve just that on a more regular basis. Being able to draw feedback from others is a real bonus.

Thanks again guys.

Joe.

8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    #4 Is great fun. For a moment it looked like graffiti of a person (head in background) holding a sword (the white-spray paint in front and cocked arm holding the camera) or light-saber until you disentangle the layers.

Melbourne is my favourite Aussie city - Sydney may have the flash but Melbourne has the soul.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Mate what a series. Great work! That PL25 really does deliver the goods. Like this shot, betrays your street camo :wink:...is that a khaki Domke F5XB you're using to tote things about in? Had one, loved it, miss it!...but how do you fit all your gear in it? - you had the 14/25/45 with you on the day :confused: Outgrew mine had to move to an F10...and now that's getting too small :blush:
    Shorts? Mate it's still too cold in my parts.

Love Melbourne too, very cosmopolitan - and not bad coffee makers in them parts. But I'm born and bred in Sydney so...
    OUCH!:crying:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cool, that's the stuff that I'd like to see but I don't know how much I'd find or be able to fit in over something like a weekend trip.

Mark, have you relocated to Antarctica recently? It's the middle of December :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Probably a bit short a weekend, a long weekend say 4 days....then for sure.

The thing is, and this is as much a curse as it is a blessing, the most interesting places to explore in Melbourne tend to be separated from each by a cab ride. A blessing because what that results in is distinct vibes in each district.....Bohemian Brunswick-Fitzroy, the mix of cash and poverty in bayside St Kilda, the very well to do glam of Chapel St Prahran, the heavily Asian influenced inner city grunge of Richmond. But the distance is a curse too because non of these places are walking distance from each other. You will be forced to run the gauntlet of Melbourne cabbies ;)

Unlike other cities in Oz where everything that's happening, is happening in the one zone. Not entirely 100% true, but much more so than in Melbourne.

4 days, 4 very busy days....would just about cover it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Some of the most talented artists use the faded fascia of worn weathered urban architecture as their canvas; most of whom will never have the opportunity to cultivate and then develop the breadth of their talent due to the socio-economics that they are born into and the depths of the depravity to which they shall invariably succumb.

"A mind is a terrible to waste" as the old American TV commercial uttered two decades and generations ago to the deep urban young entrenched in the hopelessness of their crumbling surrounding. Talent so vivid and alive is a tragedy to behold for only the brevity of the time until the patina of the colors fade in the next layer of latex.

...and memories live only in the casualness of a street shooter's camera and lens.

• Like Like x 1