1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Melbourne Grand Prix - 2013

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by sac, Mar 18, 2013.

1. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Steven
    I went to the Grand Prix on Sunday to watch the first race of the season. I took my G5 and the Panasonic 14-140 to try and capture some motor sport action. First time shooting fast moving vehicles and I managed a lot of empty track, and either just the nose or tail of the car. All in all, it was a fun day.

All these shots have been cropped.

GP_2013-1050919_Custom_.

GP_2013-1060169_Custom_.

GP_2013-1060215_Custom_.

GP_2013-1060062_Custom_.

GP_2013-1060114_Custom_.

GP_2013-1060370_Custom_.

• Like Like x 3
  2. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    looks very good. well done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matt917k

Matt917k Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Matt
    Back in the good old days there used to be gaps in the fencing where you could shoot the cars without the interference of the wire fences. Frankly I just stopped taking my Camera with me to the GP's after that. Here's an example, taken at the entry to turn 13. But please this was from the 2000 Melbourne GP, taken on film then scanned quite badly!

fissi.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Steven

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very nice if it weren't for the fence! Never shot at a car race but have shot other fast moving subjects, they are tricky to say the least.

How fast were the cars going in that turn? They almost look like they are standing still. What settings did you have your camera at?

I would have thought that if you were panning with the cars{usually have to with fast moving subjects} and focus set on them that the fence would be far less visible and the background would have a motion blur{like the F1 car that Matt posted}. It also seems that you are stopped down a lot. The fence is in focus, the cars are too and so is the background = very deep DOF.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matt917k

Matt917k Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Matt
    The trick is to pan with the car to try and get the illusion of motion, plus you then have the car as the only thing in focus, nice tight depth of field is the go too. I used to shoot in shutter priority mode mostly, if the light was ok i'd try and keep the shutter speed down at 125ish. Takes a steady hand. I suspect with those fences in play, manual focus may have been a better option too. I used to focus on the tarmac where the cars where going to be. Shooting film you did end up with many throw away's though! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Steven
    Thanks speedandstyle & Matt917k for the feedback and advice. I gave up on autofocus very quickly and used manual focus. My focus point was the near side of the track into the corner. I initally tried at 1/250, but most of the shots were blurred. I ended up at 1/1000 for most shots, at F7.3 and ISO1600. I did try some shots with bigger appetures, but they were not as sharp.

I did try to pan with the vehicle, but lack of experience/practice meant that I ended up with a blur. In the end I used burst mode to try and capture the car as it came through the turn.

The F1 cars approach turn 3 at around 190kph and at the apex (where most of those shots are) they are travelling at around 90kph.

This was a new experience for me, and I would like to try again. Probably either a track day or one for the Targa events. No fence and cars travelling a little slower.

I would not want to do this with film, total of 700+ shots of which I ended up keeping 150 and only really happy with about 25.:smile:

8. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Back in England I did a lot of motor sports photography (none of it particularly good), I found 1/320 was the slowest I could hand-hold for shots between 200-300mm (APS-C), though 1/250 was better for sense of speed (wheels blurring). I did have the luxury of full view of the racing without fencing. That stuff is pretty extreme there for a 90kph hairpin.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Steven
    Turn 3 is 90 degree right hander then into a 90 degree left hander. It is classified as an overtaking area and you normally get a bit of action.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Don't you just hate those damn fences! I want less protection! (Or is it really the motivation of the media to keep the best shots for themselves?)

11. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Steven
    Yep. There was a position for photograhers just in front. I only saw it used by four photographers over the day.

12. Matt917k

Matt917k Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Matt
    Unfortunately a few years back a track side Marshall was killed by debris from an accident. Australia has adopted fairly extreme occupational health and safety standards generally, and the incident lead to officials introducing the extra fencing as well as closing off any publicly accessible photo opportunities.

I used to do quite a bit of motorsport photography myself, but then discovered I actually preferred doing it to just taking pictures of it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sometimes the fence doesn't even work! Nascar just found that out at Daytona. How would you like to have a wheel land in your lap?

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFxOECSgiY]Fans injured in Horrific Crash into Fence NASCAR Daytona 2013 Nationwide - YouTube[/ame]