1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Melbourne Bayside on a sunny afternoon.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Livnius, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Woke up late Sunday morning with a post wedding party headache.....the remedy ? Some eggs on toast, a strong coffee and an afternoon photo walk down to the Bay on what was easily one of the prettiest mid-winter Sundays I've seen in Melbourne for ages.

It was also a good chance to take out my new lens the Oly 40-150R. Picked it up for a good price and really wanted to try a longer focal length having never shot longer than the Oly45 ! Fun lens to use for sure even though I felt I had to spend a little longer than usual in PP boosting contrast. Toying with a longer focal length was fun and I think I'll pick up the Pana100-300mm just to try something REALLY long.

As you can see though, most of the images were taken with the P7-14mm....man I am beginning to really enjoy that lens. It has taken a bit of time to get comfortable with it but I'm beginning to get a real feel for it now. I've got myself a Cokin P holder and some Hitech filters on their way in the mail and I CANNOT wait to begin experimenting. (Big thanks to forum member Tony B for his great P7-14mm filter solution)

As per usual my PP is probably a little too bold but for me it's still a part of the process of creating an image and I enjoy it :)

All shot with the EM5.

P7-14 @7mm
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-aa.jpg

PL25mm with CPL
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-aaa.jpg

P7-14 @ 7mm
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-b.jpg

Oly 40-150 @150mm (...and cropped!)
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-d.jpg

P7-14 @ 10mm
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-e.jpg

P7-14 @ 10mm
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-f.jpg

P 7-14 @ 8mm
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-g.jpg

PL25mm with CPL
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-j.jpg

Oly 40-150 @ 100mm
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-k.jpg

Oly 40-150 @ 40mm
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-c.jpg

PL25mm
    Sunny_Sunday_in_Elwood-l.jpg

• Like Like x 31
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for sharing . Beautiful shots but I love the last one . Amazing composition
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Reminds me that I want to visit OZ and NZ someday ...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Beautiful !!!

Time and time again I've seen images from 7-14 and come away with a bad case of GAS (I don't need a super WA!!) - your images exacerbate it badly. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Number 1 is a fantastic shot. I really like it alot. 5 and 7 are really good too. Love the set.

• Like Like x 1
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Number 1 really hits it for me. There's a lovely balance to everything in that shot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    I actually love your processing, not too bold at all in my opinion. What do you use if you don't mind me asking?

I love the compositions in this set too. That second shot really grabs my attention with the beautiful lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Great set, great use of your various lenses - and I also love that last shot particularly. Good stuff as always!

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Stunning shots, particularly with the 7-14mm. I really love the first shot. Excellent! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    These are great. I take it you are around Elwood ? I used to live there about 8 years ago. Very nice place, miss it greatly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Just when I sitting here debating whether or not to sell my 7-14 that I bought just a few days ago (buyers remorse) I see this. Thanks a lot!! :wink:

Excellent images Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brilliant stuff! I particularly love the first and I think the seventh (8mm with the bikes in the foreground). The horizon might need a small tilt on that one but the composition is fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks guys.

Yeah the 7-14mm is the lens that after first purchasing it (thanks Gordon) I quickly became aware of how tricky it could be to use....going from shooting with the PL25 to suddenly go 7mm was huge....but I'm finding that the more I use it the more I am liking it....for a while there I stopped taking it out but these days, behind the PL25 it's the first lens I put in my kit bag !

The 40-150 Oly is interesting, to be totally honest, I only got it because I found a cheap one for sale and because I wanted to get a feel for the focal length so that when the Pana35-100 is released I could hit the ground running. (I intend to pre-order the 35-100 the moment it is possible to do so). But having said that, I can see the attraction of the 40-150 in its own right. Sure it's build is cheap....I can't believe it's even a lens it feels so plasticky...yet when I checked my images back home on the laptop I was pleasantly surprised...the images lacked a little contrast and color rendition appeared 'slightly' washed out but all in all given that PP can address these things to a degree, I think it's a good value lens....the biggest drawback being of course it's rather small aperture. If it wasn't for the 35-100 being on the horizon....I would probably keep this lens longer term.

@blue-b-b: Thanks mate. I do all my PP in LR4 and if and when necessary I also use some of the Nik plugins. I have a whole bunch of presets that I've downloaded and I basically just scroll through them until I find something that suites the theme/idea......I then usually fiddle around with various sliders and settings. I actually enjoy processing my images....if only my laptop had a bit more horsepower and wasn't so sluggish (especially with SFXpro) I would enjoy it even more. PM me if there was a specific image/PP effect you liked and I'll look into what I actually did a little more.

14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    @Nic: Thanks for spotting that Nic...you're bang on. I'll fix that when I get home.

@Danska: oh man stick at it....seriously it's an awesome lens that once you begin to get the feel for it, it'll reward your time. DON'T do anything rash before you've given it time....believe me, I felt the same for a little while at the start too....it just seemed TOO much. Now I love it and consider it easily my #2 lens behind the PL25. I can honestly say that for as long as I'm in m43 the 7-14 stays put !!

• Like Like x 1
  15. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Good to know you feel that way about it. The 25mm is my favorite lens hands down. I'm a little torn right now because I just picked up an EM-5 and the 7-14.. Lot of cash going towards m4/3. I really want to get a weather sealed lens to add to the mix, since that was a big factor of the EM-5 for me (living in the rainy Pacific Northwest).

16. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    love these shots.

you mentioned using PL25mm with CPL, and the last time I used the PL25 with CPL I think the IQ of the borders compromised somehow but I'm not sure if it's due the using of CPL, does a CPL filters have influence especially in the borders?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A wide angle should release the gas technically ..lol Oh may be it has small aperture actually ..lol
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    @rich00: The Elwood area is a great part of town. I'm actually from the other side just over the WestGate Bridge which is visible in image #9.

@jyc86: Thanks. I've never noticed any adverse effects from a CPL.....I use a slim Marumi Super DHG which based on a lenstip.com comparison of 20 CPLs has the best optical qualities even outperforming the more expensive and widely know B+W CPL. I believe that on the day I had stacked it with a 2-stop B+W ND filter as well !!

19. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Excellent images and use beautiful of light :thumbup::smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    I agree with you, part of the joy of photography for me is coming home to edit the photos. I know everyone has their own opinions, but I personally like making images look bolder or different than they do with my natural eye. I can see them that way anytime I like, photography is a way for me to explore different ways of seeing things.

I use LR3 for all my processing. I've thought about some Nik plugins, but I don't want to spend the money just yet. I like your idea though of downloading presets and then tweaking them to your liking. I do everything from scratch, which is fun, but I find myself getting caught in the same kind of processing. Perhaps tweaking some preconfigured presets will open my mind a little more. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1